Sign in to follow this  

19 inch SM Front Rim - 2 Questions

I have a plan in the works to lace a 19x2.15 rim to my SM from hub. I do more ADV type riding that anything and love the 17/19 combo, much better tire combos. I've done lots of searching and found what I think I need besides 2 thing

From what I've read, rims and spokes from a RM250 will work on a DRZ? can anyone confirm this? I know the RM hub is more narrow, so will the spokes work? Any particular year range I should be in?

Also to confirm, the RM hub and rim are 36 hole, correct?

Yes an RM rim should fit, yes a set of RM spokes should work as well. YEs both are 36 holes.

Having not built this set up myself, I said SHOULD above, as I cannot confirm, nor I bet can anyone else, what your proposing is, not a combo I've seen built before so direct "It Will WORK" answers may not be forth coming.

maxitout: I also have an SM that I use more for adv/offroad riding vs. carving corners/track use. Have you considered putting offroad tires on the17" rims? I know a lot of people use the 18/21 combo on either bike but a 17/19 seems like it may be an interesting set up... I do know that meats on the 17's make for a nice look... IMO

photobucket-1769-1312205868351.jpg

Just something to consider. Post pics when you are done as I have also debated other combos.

maxitout: I also have an SM that I use more for adv/offroad riding vs. carving corners/track use. Have you considered putting offroad tires on the17" rims? I know a lot of people use the 18/21 combo on either bike but a 17/19 seems like it may be an interesting set up... I do know that meats on the 17's make for a nice look... IMO

Just something to consider. Post pics when you are done as I have also debated other combos.

Gator,

I currently run Shinkos 244's front and rear on my SM (looks the same as you). They are good, but not ideal for any real ADV touring. The front tire is just too wide and short. They do look killer however :bonk:

Well then there ya go, yes I am on Shinko's as well. I sometimes feel like it is too wide, but only when I am in the mud or sand really. For the street, they are the best that I have experienced as are as "off road" tires go. Let us know how your new set up works out for you, I am curious about your conclusions since we are coming from the same set up.

Why don't you lace up a a 21" or just get an S front wheel...?..The hubs are the same..

'Cause I want a 19 :smirk:

There are a few reasons really. First being geometry. I wanna have better tire choices without compromising the stock geometry too much. 2 inches makes a difference. the 17/19 is a very popular ADV touring size as well. Also I like matching rims (in color) cant get a 21 inch used black rim :bonk: Having a unique DRZ is also a factor