Sign in to follow this  

is there a coating on my yz's aluminum frame?

I was considering using a little AC coil cleaner to freshen up my '08 frame. But, if there is some type of clear cloat over the aluminum it might be a bad idea.

thanks

If you are talking about a modern YZ there is no coating to worry about. Many people take the time to polish them if that's your style. I personally clean the areas that my boots rub with a scotch brite pad.

Yup... scotch brite and a little alum. cleaner (not the polish) does the trick for me. Oven cleaner will get rid of the tough baked on stuff as well. No need for any heavy cleaners.

The scotchbrite is really good on thsi frame. depending on which grade you get, the finish is anything from polished to a stock satin.

I experiment between all grades, but my favorite is "0000" steel wool. Gleaming, polished finish thats easy to re-clean.

• Like 1

I have never been a fan of using oven cleaner on aluminum parts. I feel that it is simply too harsh.

I have had great results with 000 steel wool. Very cheap and easy to find at any hardware store.

I have never been a fan of using oven cleaner on aluminum parts. I feel that it is simply too harsh.

Why is this? Not nit picking or trying to disagree... just wondering if there is any reasoning, or if its just a preference. Ive been using it since I got my 08 brand new , only for the toughest of gunk/stains to get off. Just wondering if Im doing any harm to my frame. Simply spray on, rinse off, then clean with the scotch brite like the rest of it.

Edited by ftball90

"000" steel wool is just a little bit more shiny than the stock frame. It looks great.

i dont know if i would use coil cleaner? ur talkin sumthin like nucalgen? i use it all the time at work and its pretty harsh..

Buy one of those 3M sanding sponge blocks at HD or Lowes, it's like 2"x4"x.5". Comes in different grits, I like the coarse 80 grit. This grit (80) lets you scratch cross marks, fig 8, makes frame look fresh, in a scratchy way.

Buy one of those 3M sanding sponge blocks at HD or Lowes, it's like 2"x4"x.5". Comes in different grits, I like the coarse 80 grit. This grit (80) lets you scratch cross marks, fig 8, makes frame look fresh, in a scratchy way.

You need to be careful with using any type of abrasive as they remove metal. Sure it is a very tiny amount, but over time it will add up.

Steel wool is considerably less abrasive than those sanding blocks and much easier to get into the tight nooks and crannies.

Why is this? Not nit picking or trying to disagree... just wondering if there is any reasoning, or if its just a preference. Ive been using it since I got my 08 brand new , only for the toughest of gunk/stains to get off. Just wondering if Im doing any harm to my frame. Simply spray on, rinse off, then clean with the scotch brite like the rest of it.

Oven cleaners have some pretty harsh chemicals in them and aluminum is a somewhat porous metal. If you don't get all of the oven cleaner off, it can continue to react and "eat" into the aluminum. They don't make ovens out of aluminum so there is no worry about the cleaner causing any damage in there.

I don't know how long it would take for it to eat enough metal away to cause a potential problem, but if it does you can count on the whole frame being trashed.

Oven cleaners have some pretty harsh chemicals in them and aluminum is a somewhat porous metal. If you don't get all of the oven cleaner off, it can continue to react and "eat" into the aluminum. They don't make ovens out of aluminum so there is no worry about the cleaner causing any damage in there.

I don't know how long it would take for it to eat enough metal away to cause a potential problem, but if it does you can count on the whole frame being trashed.

Ok thanks... I only use it when the bike is stripped down so Im not too worried about it. I scrub as much crud as I can off but when theres something I cant get off I just use a quick shot of oven cleaner, and the scotch brite then wash the frame very thouroghly before I reassemble the bike.

I was worried for a sec.

I second that.

I use these on my 05 CR250R, and they work great.

:bonk:

Also, not all oven cleaner is created equal. I have some easy-off that a person could use to brush their teeth with. The generic, Wal_mart brand will eat through anything. Tough and harsh. Both work well to remove anodizing.

Let me clearify, first was bike with purple power (cheap and way strong) in a spray bottle and dawn dish soap in a hot soapy bucket. Use a "green weenie", it's that green rough part on your dish washing spong. Just the green part is sold as a pad. You buy "green weenies" right buy the sponges at the store. That will remove most of the black marks and scuffs + clean all the bike with it. When your bikes dry and your bored, grab the 3M rough pad and give her a light pattern. Through some Shine And GO from Motul on your plastic and BAM, plastics look new. Don't spray around radiator shrouds, tank or disks, every thing else gets it. If I ever wore out a frame from sanding and cleaning, then I would save that frame and mount it on the wall for a conversation piece.

I wish I remembered which cleaner it was, but one of them caused major oxidation on my aluminum parts. It may have been simple green on a hot day. Since then, I use shout laundry spray. It cleans grease up well, is good on chains, and smells good.

I use a degreaser from Wal-mart and Scotchbrite pad. The cleaner is suppose to be ok to environment. So the label says. But cleans the frame real nice.

On aluminum, depending on how much time/shine you want. If you want a mirror polish for cheap, make sure the surface is smooth, if needed, sand smooth down 400 or finer if needed, and use Mother's Mag Wheel polish.

I wonder why Yamaha didn't anodize the frame?? How cool would that be? If I remember right, it seems to be quite durable but boots take their toll on anything.

Careful, polishing aluminum is addictive!! Soon you will be gathering different polishing wheels, compounds, sealers and will be sneaking out to polish stuff. I bet there is a 12 step program or some sort of rehab for it. Must be a Harley thing..:bonk:

• Like 1