2011 300 xcw whooped already?

so i have been researching/reading for a couple months here wanting to move from my crf 450x, to a 2 stroke. Really shooting for a 250 i think, but then i just got a chance to ride a 2011 xcw with 140 hrs, and a gnarly pipe.

I was really dissappointed with the lack of power after reading all the comments of how a 300 would just dump you if not careful with the throttle, but this was absolutely not the case on this bike. 3rd gear and beyond required major clutch work to wheelie, and it long stretches i never felt i was having to hold on to stand going through the gears. My comment when i took it back(a few hrs of riding) to the dealer was it never really scared me like my bike does trying the same crap.

Im no knocking ktm, and still think a want a 2t because of all the other stuff it did so well, that the crf pales in comparison to, so im wondering if at 140 hrs would it be beyond needing a rebuild and thats why it seemed to be lacking power? top speed was also 137km/hr that in the same stretch i can do 160+ on my x.

My problem is i like a certain section of bermed s-turns we have at the start of our trails, going in a bit slower, and comming out ham fisted, wheel in the air, and i missed that part of it. From everything i read, i thought it would have done that alot better then my x

The 300 can be slow and gentle or a wheeling beast. It depends on how it is set up. I've ridden 300s that scare me to death and 300s that I thought were slow. I ride a 200 as the 300 is too much for the way I ride. A good running 300, that is not detuned, easily makes 50 HP. 200 hour top ends. I am not even a 300 fan but the bike you rode was probably detuned a bit.

At that many hours if it's not had a top end it could easily be low on compression and need a freshen up. You never know with previous owners how well they maintained it and it's very likely it's just needing that top end done.

Also, having owned both myself I will tell you to try to not compare them to closely. They are very different machines and built for different purposes. If I were to ride more track or big open desert stuff the 450 would be better. For everything else the 300 will excel as that's what it's designed for.

Also, keep in mind that the XC-W has much taller gearing than your close ratio 450 which will affect how the power actually meets the ground.

My 2011 300 XC is bad ass! It has a 130 hrs of hard racing! New piston and rings at 100hrs which livend it up again! I wouldn't ride a crf450X for racing if you paid me! I'm twice as fast on it than my 2009 crf450r which was perfectly setup! The only place a thumper feels better is on high speed stuff like 65mph + and not to many guys ride that pace XC!

gnarly puts it low and nothing up top. great for reallly really tight woods other then that i would say screw it. stocker ktms are built ready to rip from the create. my 300 would eat 450s....it was just flat out too god damn fast. ive rode one that just was a dog 300 with a 125 on steriods type feeling....but with way too much weight for it. if i get another one its either a 250 or 300 exc or 250sx or a crf 250r or 250 sxf. you can make a 300 be as whicked as you want to. there impossible things you can do to bikes.

If you needed major clutch to wheelie in 3rd, then you were lugging the engine, which is what I usually do too.

definately not lugging it, was on the pipe, but seemed to no rev like i expected as the revs climbed. almost like the power was dropping off in a hurry.

Do you have any idea how it was set up? Jetting? Powervalve settings (spring and adjuster setting)? Which CDI map? Gearing?

they said middle spring(what ever that meant), gnarly pipe, and i had a bar mounted map switch, but tried it in both settings, and stock gearing. i talked to the previous owner, and he said it was jetted for the setup, and he has been riding 2t's for 20 years so i assume he knew what he was doing.

You probably already know this but - did you check the expansion chamber for dents / bends - my power was amazing after i replaced my bent and banged up pipe with a new one...

it did have a golf ball sized dent in the large part of the exp chamber, but being in that big an area i didnt think it would affect it that much

I can post a picture of me in 4th standing leaning up over the bars with the front tire lifting.

I had to take the red spring out to calm it down for the woods.

I beleive you, because i keep reading about these bikes being exactly like that, that is why i posted, because im wondering what went wrong, and debating if this bike is really worth it.

On another note, i was at the ktm dealer today, looking at the new 500xcw, and man does it feel light compared to my bike also

Fatty pipe, red spring, proper jetting, map switch on and there isn't a 450 that has a chance. That's a good running 300. Wait there's more. Slaven's head mod and SX CDI!!!!! You need to ride more than just one not set up very well 300 before making a judgement. You couldn't pay me to race a CRF 450!!!!!!

if you already know how to ride a bike, a 300 is not scary. if you go from an xr250 to a 300, it's scary and intimidating at first.

I agree with this. I'm always surprised at the number of posts that claim the 300 is so scary and hard to ride. Jeez, it's a pussycat with one of the most tractable power bands around, OR it's really fast, if that's what you want. You do need to be able to ride a little, however. This bike has multiple personalities (mild to manic), depending on how it is turned. I have never found it even remotely scary.

To the OP - I had a 450X prior to getting my '08 300XC. The X is a great bike, but a very different bike. In high speed, open terrain it is much better than the 300. On open single track, they can be pretty close. In more technical situations, the 300 is the way to go. The motor and HUGE weight advantage really make the 300 shine when the going gets tough.

The 450X is a high revving, heavy weight. When it hits the mid-range, it really starts to boogie, all the way to 11,000 RPM.

The 300 is a lower revving, feather weight. It pulls easily from almost zero rpm, in any gear, when properly set up, making it great in technical stuff. Yet, it still rips when opened up, but not quite like the 450. Need to lug up a steep, rocky climb like a John Deere? You want a 300.

I always felt my 450X had a pretty heavy front end. I think it's far easier to wheely the 300. It's just sooo much lighter, that it responds to input more quickly, including lifting the front.

I love the 300XC. It allows me to go places with ease that would be a struggle on the 450X. In most (not all) riding situations that I encounter, I will take the 300 over the 450X.

First off, a 450X that does 160+ is certainly not a stock 450X! My buddies mildly modded 450X (full exhaust and JD kit) will tap out at 130 km/h on a good day pinned. My 300XC (gnarly/turbinecore 2/ red spring backed all the way out/Vforce 4) will pull on him in 5th gear roll on tests from @50 km/h to 120ish. Not leave him in the dust, but steadily pull away slowly.

The 3hunny isn't scary fast (I haven't ridden a 450 that is either) but I do like the XR250 - 300 comparison......hehe.

I jet my 3hunny a bit fat to ensure it's getting lubed. It wheelies easily in the first 3 gears and is very tractable. If you are riding terrain that allows you to hit those kind of speeds I personally would stay with the 4T. For everything else the 3hunny is the bomb in my opinion. Less effort through the gnarly stuff = longer riding days :bonk:!

I wouldn't say the 300 is scary where you can let it rip, but in the tight trees, get a little too aggressive or grab too much throttle, it will send you into the wood pretty quick. I found it deceivingly fast, getting me over my head before I realized it. I am a better rider now and sure I could handle one, but I simply don't need that much power in the corner to corner woods I ride.

Coming from a 450, I agree, shouldn't be a big transition power wise.