Sign in to follow this  

Springs in primary driven gear

Have an old EFM auto clutch in my 07 YZ250F, and it hasn't been working as well as I would like. Took everything out, and everything seems pretty good. The only thing I am wondering about is the springs in the primary driven gear. How much play should they have before it may be a problem? I have the original that I am guessing came with the bike, and the springs have very little if any play. I can't move them back and forth or spin them. When I pick it up and shake it a bit, I hear nothing. The one that has been in the bike makes some clicking as the springs are able to move around a bit. I am wondering if this may be why the clutch isn' engaging nice and smooth, and also contributing to the bike dying on me during hill climbs.

I sent an e-mail this morning to Garry at EFM, but figured I would throw it out here for opinions as well.

Have an old EFM auto clutch in my 07 YZ250F, and it hasn't been working as well as I would like. Took everything out, and everything seems pretty good. The only thing I am wondering about is the springs in the primary driven gear. How much play should they have before it may be a problem? I have the original that I am guessing came with the bike, and the springs have very little if any play. I can't move them back and forth or spin them. When I pick it up and shake it a bit, I hear nothing. The one that has been in the bike makes some clicking as the springs are able to move around a bit. I am wondering if this may be why the clutch isn' engaging nice and smooth, and also contributing to the bike dying on me during hill climbs.

I sent an e-mail this morning to Garry at EFM, but figured I would throw it out here for opinions as well.

If the original OEM stock primary driven gear has no circumferential play and the housing and teeth are in good shape, it is good to go. I have this from the manual, and from what I gather, there is to be no circumferential play whatsoever in that piece. They have no measurable run out spec listed for them; it just isn't suppose to have circumferential play when you twist it between your hands as shown below.

I don't know the answer as to how long they can be used with play before problems transpire though.

Hope this helped.

PrimaryDrivenGear.jpg

Edited by nokickstandsallowed
Added information.