Sign in to follow this  

WR250f Intro and Help

Hey TT'ers,

I just picked up a 2007 WR250f as my first ever dirtbike. I am posting to introduce myself and ask any fellow CO WR250'ers for some help. I have done a bunch of research on the Free Mods here on TT, but have never been around/worked on motorcycles before so I am nervous about doing these mods by myself. The only one I have done is the "Gray Wire Mod", as that one is simple and straight forward.

Would anyone in the Denver area experienced with the 07+ WR250 Free Mods be willing to meet for a day to help me get some of these mods done? Beer and lunch will be provided, as well as a future riding buddy! :smirk:

Now for the introduction: I am 26 located in Littleton, CO. I moved out here from MA last year for work (mechanical engineer) and decided to get a WR250f as it seems like a criminal offense not to own a dirtbike out here. Looking to meet new people and make some friends through dirtbiking.:bonk:

Free Mods that I would like to do:

1. Gray Wire Mod (Done)

2. Remove Stock Muffler Baffle

3. Remove AIS

4. Throttle Stop Mod

5. Possible Re-Jet with JD Jetting Kit

Let me know if you would like to help a new WR250'er out!

Thanks,

John

I don't live out there but can help you from here. As long as you have just a little bit of mechanical skill and some tools then you can do all of it!!

Welcome to TT man and congrats on the WR!!

Stock muffler baffle. Remove fastner and yank that sucker out!! If you have the money I would replace the exhaust system. You won't be disappointed. The stock muffler is still very restrictive even with the baffle out and a bit loud. Aftermarket exhaust will fix that.

Remove AIS. Look around for the AIS removal kit and it comes with a new throttle stop and needle for your carb.

Throttle stop mod. You can buy a YZ throttle stop or you can pull the old one out and cut it. It sould be a total of one inch from end to end.

Good luck man!!

http://www.thumperfaq.com/free_mods.htm

Here is the link to all the free mods. It was written a while ago but still applies to the newer bikes as well. Also you will find other links that talk about newer bikes as well.

BTW... If you are interested in doing the YZ cam timing mod let me know. It can be done and is very easy!!

Thanks for the tips Swede! I may be wrong, but during my research, it seemed that the 07+ (Aluminum framed) bikes' carbs are next-to-impossible to get to. I read something about having to remove the rear shock and drop the swing arm just to get to the carb. Is this true? This is the part that really scares me and the reason I am asking for help. I have never done any work on carbs at all, so the jetting part is also daunting.

There are 2 mods you need to do together... the muffler and JD jetting mods complement eachother. When I got my 04 WR, it had the JD jetting but a stock muffler. It bogged horribly until I replaced the muffler with an accessory muffler that was free flowing. Good luck with it, you'll like the results.

Yeah I heard the carb is a pain to get out on those but you can do a lot of work with the carb still in the bike. Just rotate it so you can get to the top cover and replace the needle and the bottom drain bolt to replace the pilot or main. The carb is very easy to work on just remember what jet went where and you're set!!

You're also going to have to remove what everyone calls the "snorkels" from the top of the airbox air inlet.

These are intake noise silencers that also cut airflow.

Here's a thread started by another member that is devoted to the 2007-and-later models:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916535

I've got a 2009 WR-250F, which is really the same machine as your 2007 model with different stickers.

When I was uncorking my bike and doing the carb rejetting, the carb stood in place.

I removed the seat, side panels (side number plates), radiator shrouds, and fuel tank.

I was able to remove the top of the carburetor in order to change the needle pretty easily.

For the bottom of the carb, I was able to remove the float bowl with the carb still in place, believe it or not.

All I needed was an allen wrench to turn the bolts holding it on, and it dropped right down.

I was able to remove the cover on the right-hand side that covers the accelerator pump linkage with the carb still in place, too.

Since I did that work just after buying the bike in November of 2009, the carb hasn't been touched by me except for draining fuel out of the bowl via the drain screw.

Personally, I believe how you feel about carb access on this bike is going to depend on what you've had in the past, or if you have other bikes in your garage to compare it to.

I've also got a 2009 Honda CRF-450X that I just uncorked, and the parts are packed around that carb even more closely and tightly.

With that bike, I decided to lift the subframe and remove the carb out toward the rear of the bike.

Compared to that, the WR-250F was easier. :bonk:

All the mods you want to do are very easy. If you need some help go to you tube and do a search all the free mods for the wr have been video taped by different people. It is much easier to do when you can watch someone else do it. I have an 08 wr and I changed the jets without removing anything just loosen the front and back bracket holding the carb and you can turn it just enough to drop the bowl. I did not change the needle just the main and the leak jet my bike has no bog at all and runs great I dont know your alltitude so i dont know what jets you need but dont buy a jet kit just order the jets you need alot cheaper. I did a search and found someone on tt that had there bike on the dyno and got his specs and it worked great.

Just doing one of these mods doesnt do much but the combination of them all make the bike really pop.

Thanks for the tips guys! I looked over the bike just now and I am not sure if the mods are already done or not... here is what I found:

1. Gray Wire Mod: This was disconnected when I got the bike, so i plugged it back in to prevent water from entering the connector in the future and cut it.

2. Uncork Stock Muffler: I shined a flashlight down the silencer and there was no pea shooter/tailpipe. Also, about 4 inches down the silencer, there is a round, shiny, solid metal plate across the cross-section of the silencer. What is this? It does not have a hole in it, so I dont understand how the exhaust even flows through it.

3. Remove AIS: How do I tell if this is removed or not?

4. Remove Throttle Stop: I turned the throttle from 0 to 100% and it when about 33% around the bar. Can I tell if this mod is done or not from this? If not, how can I tell without ripping the carb out?

Thanks for anymore help you guys can offer, I really appreciate how helpful you have all been.:bonk:

2. Uncork the stock muffler.... the stock muffler can't be uncorked past removing the pea shooter, so if its gone, that's it.

The stock muffler has chambers in it with reverse tubes that control the sound.

YOU MUST replace the stock muffler with a straight thru design and spark arrestor screen to jet the carb properly for power without a bog. Mine would not run without a bog in mid range until I put an Akrapovic muffler on it.

A little trick I have used many times is to grab your cell phone camera and take pictures of everything as you are removing them. Even simple things like removing shrounds require several different types of bolts. So if you are like me and start a project and get side tracked for a couple of days, you can go back look at your pictures and remember where each of those bolts and nuts came from. If you don't have a manual yet you will need to get one. Good luck with the mods.

You can get to the throttle stop screw without removing anything. There is a thread on here, but basically if you can make about 16" of extensions and the right allen key, you can reach it pretty easy. You can take it out and measure it.

found the thread - http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=771421

And I agree with the others, it's been a while, but I re-jetted the carb without removing it, and removed the snorkels and opened up the airbox pretty easy. I added some stretched out pantyhose over the large open hole on top of the airbox just to keep out excess mud, dirt, and grit. Oh and do the accelerator pump o-ring mod, that was pretty easy with a dental pick tool too (o-ring comes with a JD jet kit).

Oh and do the accelerator pump o-ring mod, that was pretty easy with a dental pick tool too (o-ring comes with a JD jet kit).

Awesome advice on the throttle stop with mega-extender! Thanks for the link, I will knock this one off tomorrow! What is the "Accelerator O-ring mod?" Is there a link for this one too? I was thinking about just buying the GYT-R AIS removal kit since I need to do this too... Does this o-ring mod come in this kit?

Also, I have read that the throttle stop should measure exactly 1" to get the most out of the bike - Is this length correct? what is stock length?

Live in Grand Junction area. My wife has an '07 WR250 that I've done lots of stuff on. I have an '03 WR450, a '06 YZ450 and a '05 YZ250F project. Send me a p.m if you feel you need to go riding in the good half of the state!

Awesome advice on the throttle stop with mega-extender! Thanks for the link, I will knock this one off tomorrow! What is the "Accelerator O-ring mod?" Is there a link for this one too? I was thinking about just buying the GYT-R AIS removal kit since I need to do this too... Does this o-ring mod come in this kit?

Also, I have read that the throttle stop should measure exactly 1" to get the most out of the bike - Is this length correct? what is stock length?

I think the AIS kit comes with a new throttle stop also a better needle and jets, If it doesn't just cut it down to a total of one inch from end to end.

If you can't find an AIS kits then you can make your own removal kit by making some plugs and caps. No biggie. You might want to look into the JD jetting kit. Very well worth the money.