Surfing and losing for MX

Hey everyone...a bit lengthy but thanks for taking the time to read

I wanted to start off by saying I have read every 'quitting' thread out there but I'm still in my head. I am losing the desire for mx for multiple reasons but it's depressing thinking about it.

Surfing was my 1st love but haven't surfed much the last few years b/c of mx and other hobbies. Just started hitting the waves more the past 6 months or so.

I am not a trail guy. I'm an MX guy but fear keeps creeping in each time I go out. I've been slowly losing the desire to clear small jumps although I have cleared up to 75' tables. I have raced a harescramble but they are really not for me. I get bored after a while with no jumps...just not as fun.

I have about 6 tracks within 1hr and 2 or 3 others within 1.5hrs from my home. Between the fear, driving each weekend, money, time spent wrenching and other hobbies...the wanting to quit is creeping in, although I love the sport.

I'm 37, not married and no kids...one major accident in 4 years( 4 ribs broke, concussion, bruised tailbone) blacked out on a 65ft step down and was basically planking the ground:banghead:

Surfing is not stressful...IMO...Although the waves are not great all the time here in north florida, I really miss surfing but love mx too. I think they are probably the 2 greatest sports for me.

I'm trying to justify riding but it seems the thoughts of stopping are still there.

Anyone go through similar issues especially with surfing or other sports?

I know fear is the biggest issue but money and time are a factor.

Anyone have these other factors and/or other interests pull u away from the sport?

I used to surf then moved off the coast and got into wakeboarding. I still wakeboard more often since I can bring the enite family on the boat and my kids have a blast. I just recently got into the MX/trail riding and love it too. The downside to dirtbikes for me is the time and risk of getting injured (Im married with kids). It usually takes me at least an 1 hour to 1.5 hours to get to the nearest track or trails and I don't spend time with the family during the weekend.

However If I had the choice to either dirtbike or surf, thats a tough one. I would probably stick to surfing. The stoke and soul of surfing is like none other, its a life style. The downside is that you are constantly having to wait for perfect conditions. Oh and surfing is cheap and gets you in ripped shape!

In conclusion why not do both? I still love wakeboarding and still love hitting a freshly groomed track.

Not the same parameters, but started going to the road course (Willow Springs, Buttonwillow) with the sportbike frequently. Trackday cost, BIG injury factor and the fact it was just me having a good time and not the whole family drove me away. trail riding for the family has been great, find myself liking riding more and more each year.

Nothing is permanent, if you're not enjoying one of the hobbies take a break and pursue other things. If you get drawn back, you know what you were missing.

I would do both if I could, but surfing in Colorado is a little hard. I lived in San Diego until may of 2010 and did both. I have lots of fun doing single track in Colorado and desert riding in New Mexico. Challenging and exhilarating but I still miss the surfing. Why not do both?

I can relate but with different sports, Sometimes all I want to do is ride my CRF and that will last for months. But then I slowly start missing riding my GSXR and start riding it more and leaving the trails behind. Then I wanna ride my mountain bike and both the GSXR and the CRF get left in the garage. I think what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. As people, our interests change from time to time and we feel more inclined to do something else for awhile. As far as "Fear" creeping in, I would attribute that to just getting older and realizing that you ned to be more careful while out riding and that you don't always have to hit every jump to enjoy the day.. Just my .02 worth

Anyone have these other factors and/or other interests pull u away from the sport?

I went thru almost the same thing and was involved with 4 wheeled activities for quite a few years. It was less money (believe it or not), less time, shorter drives, no crash danger for this particular form of racing.

Have you thought about easing back a little on the MX activities? Especially if you are getting more tentative in your riding, better quit, at least for a while. Are there tracks near you where you can get some track time to keep your skills sharp without risking life and limb, a sort of practice track? I went without any bikes for quite a few years because it just didn't fit in my life for a while. Marriage, a mortgage ,kids and families will do that. Now that some of these restrictions are gone, I'm easing back, doing some offroad, looking at setting up a practice track, just to keep in physical condition as well as for riding skills. I'm also considering which senior class I might be in if I raced again. There is no one answer for this. Just do whatever you enjoy (isn't that why we do this...FUN?) but don't burn any bridges either with your decisions. Good luck.

Maybe MX is like that wave pool you have down there, small and confined?

I can see how trail riding in the land of the flat might not be too exciting either.

Me, I'd rather ride than surf any day, at least here in the land of wetsuits.

Last time I surfed was in Costa Rica, 6'-8' perfection, nobody out, and I kept thinking about my bike....now I'm waiting on my shoulder to heal so I can book my next trip down there.

You'll figure it out :bonk:

Whatever you decide, I recommend you keep your gear for a while afterward. Over a 5 year cycle I tend to bounce around between motos, mtn bike, and snowboarding to get my fill. Lately it's been all motos, but my mtn bike has been creeping towards the front of the garage, slowly. And of course, I can only snowboard for about 1/2 the year... and our winter is so weak right now I haven't even pulled that gear out yet.

My point is that while you're over moto today, you might be over surfing a year from now, or whatever. Individual sports like these tend to be cyclical and never really done-done. I have several friends that have been "over motos" too, and they all end up having to rebuy all their gear several years later. If you don't absolutely need the money, keep your gear for a while.

If your heart is not in it , then simply stop for a while , dont get rid of your stuff or anything , just stop track riding , and do whatever else you enjoy like surfing or whatever , if you are content after a couple of months or more of not riding , then stop , if you want to ride again , then it means you might have to learn to spend SOME time doing both , not all your time doing just the one thing , and be happy with that , i dont see any reason to just quit , but if its not something you enjoy at all anymore , or it does not make up for the feeling of NOT wanting to do it , then dont waste your time and move on with your life , some people change what their focus is in life , its not necessarily a bad thing , just time to move on to other things and set other goals

Only YOU can make that decision , we cant make it for you because it is you that has to deal with the consequences of that decision , not us !

Good Luck !!

Great replies everyone...I feel like I'm cheating on my girlfriend with these thoughts:)

Def keeping the gear for now...we'll see how it goes

Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply...it's people like you that make this a great community:ride:

jloria I feel your pain dawg. My first love was surfing also,but never had to think twice about my dirtbike as in giving it up.I havent posted a reply in awhile anywho last year this time I bought an r1,from surfing to the dirtbike they both were on the back burner. Since the weather has been getting kinda cold and wett the r1 is put up for temporary use. To make a long story short I havent ridden my dirtbike in a year/half until Monday. I can truly tell you that I missed it "lol" had a grin ear to ear,also I am glad I didnt sell it! I think you need a little time off find another hobby. That you and me being in Florida the waves are kinda rare. Just make a certain sched for surfing,motocross during the months of the year. p.s. dont sell the bike you willy truly regret IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your heart is not in it , then simply stop for a while , dont get rid of your stuff or anything , just stop track riding , and do whatever else you enjoy like surfing or whatever ,

+1

If the only riding I could do was mx tracks, I'd probably stop riding too.

frisbie_fitsum1.jpg

ramey.jpg

secesh2.jpg

if I had to pick one forthe rest of my life I would pick surfing hands down, nothing like sitting in the lineup with just 1 or 2 of your friends on a chest to head high glassy day with some longboards and goofing off. I have surfed a few times in the past month, but unfortunately here in the winter at the closest beach (1 hour away) it is too big and too sloppy, and the strait (2.5 hours) is pure perfection when it works, but is hella fickle. and the 40 degree water in the winter is a bummer too. the closest track that is open during the winter is about an hour away from me and the closest arenacross is 2 hours.

Im going to start autocrossing and doing DE/track days in my Porsche when the weather gets nicer