Sign in to follow this  

Electrical system upgrade.

I am restoring a 1982 XR500R. This is a "grand-fathered in" street legal bike. It is not possible to do an aftermarket version anymore in CA. For years, actually. So this is a worthwhile project. Mechanically, the bike is in teriffic shape. I want a modern electrical/charging system on it. All LED lighting is the plan. I talked to the folks at electrosport about it. To use their regulator/rectifier module they suggested a higher wattage stator. Perhaps around 50 watts or so. I don't know what the existing Honda unit puts out, but figure the headlight and tail light load is about 18/20 watts. Probably enough to supply all of the LEDs I could put on it, but the low output at low rpm wouldn't keep the regulator in it's range. So, here's the question!! Electrosport does not have a stator that will retrofit in. But, they said there is probably one out there. Is there? A bolt-in replacement that has higher output than stock. I might need to change the rotor also, but would like to keep the changes to the minimum.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/xl500400.jpg/

How many wires are coming out of the Stator at present and what colours are they??,, Is the bike running 6 volt or 12 volt at the moment. You could wire it up like the XL500 or 400 as above..Place your small 12 volt drycell battery under the seat or in the airbox, Grab a known good used 12 volt Reg/rec from an XL600 or XL500 and a good used voltage regulator from the same bikes or from an 83-84 XR500 or use the one on the XR500 if it's 12volt,,Ample power to run led stuff,, NZ imported XL500s, XL400s, XL600s are all wired up as the picture.

Save the above picture which I've posted at Imageshack to your computer then open said image from wherever you saved it with your browser (Firefox or IE),,, left click it for the exploded view.

And read this as well.. http://tinyurl.com/6u3r626

Edited by Horri

Thanks for the reply and info. Everything I learn makes the overall puzzle easier. I have the schematic in the manual I purchased. It is a Clymers that includes many different models. The link to the other forum was very valuable, though. I have measured the output from the lighting coil and found about 20vac at idle and about 30vac at higher rpm. The current capacity is what I am unsure of. That's why I asked if anyone has done this. I have the background to figure out what I need to do, but I don't want to overstress the stator if I don't have to. All LEDs run at something around 2vdc or so. I don't think that I would hurt the stator with any load I could put on it. But, asking first is a good way to prevent errors along the way. I also am planning on a LED headlight. I found clear white LEDs rated at 265,000 mcd. Focused just right, that will outdo the existing 6v incandesent bulb. And draw only 70ma. I'll update my progress.

The stock single-output stator on an 82 XR500 should make plenty of power to run an all-LED lighting system (unless they're super h/o LED's.) It will need to be rectified though. You could swap to an XL stator and it would buy you more power in the form of a dual output however I don't see why that would be necessary.

IMO the easiest/best way to go would be to order a universal full wave single-phase rectifier/regulator (such as the type Baja Designs offers) and a small 12v nicad battery or capacitor. Since your lighting coil is chassis grounded, the DC grounds would need to be made common via a common ground wire, floated from the chassis.

It would make your life easier to run LEDs that were originally meant for some sort of 12v automotive application. Then you won't need to screw around with calculating and mounting resisters because they'll already be built in.

Hi Moleculo, Thanks for the input. I'm thinking along the same lines as you suggested. For turn signals there is a lot to choose from on eBay alone. Most of the parts/layout/wiring I have a plan for. The stator capability is the somewhat unknown factor for me. Depending on what it can do will determine whether or not the battery will be onboard charged (size comes into play here) or plug-in as needed. As I interpret the CA DMV rules, the only thing that must operate when the engine is stopped is a brake light. So, I could go the ni-cad route quite easily. Even a small bank of C cells would power a single LED for a long time. My preference is to have a "real" electrical system, so I will go to Baja Designs next. Thanks for that link.

As far as your stator output goes, consider that in stock form it fully powers a 6v 25w headlight and 3w taillight (~4.5 amps) just off idle. With that in mind, if you were to convert to a full 12v DC system, you could reasonably expect to be able to run a standard 35w incandescant headlight and 5w taillight while charging a battery at mid RPMs. LED's would obviously draw much less. BD offers a 12v .8ah Nicad that is slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes that lives well in a high-vibation, charging system environment.

• Like 1

Here is a link to a thread where he upgrades an XL500 to 12volt using a Trailtech voltage regulator. Troy341