Sign in to follow this  

Do you wear shoulder or elbow protection?

I separated my shoulder riding and when I get back to it I need to protect this shoulder. What do you recommend? I feel like elbow pads are a good idea too. Do neck supports and chest protectors go well together or do they restrict movement?

I think RP would cut out the extras, but a dirtbiker would want all the gear, all the time.

Chest protectors with shoulder guards attached, look for one that states leatt (or other) neck brace compatible, elbow guards are a good idea-yes.

I wear a 661 pressure suit for shoulder and elbow protection. It's nice because it's all there and stays put. Not as good as a regular plastic chest protector in front, but the arm, shoulder, and back protection is better. Plus, a regular CP rubs on my collarbone hardware. The elbow pads seem to take the most hits, so yeah I think they are a good idea.

I don't think anything is really going to help prevent shoulder separation. Maybe some football pads, but I've separated both shoulders in those too.

I like the 661 pressure suit too. I feel naked without elbow protection on... saved me some pain several times.

But, last time I checked, like 3 years ago, most neck braces are NOT compatible with the pressure suits. Again, this was a while ago, maybe someone has something out now.

i, (stupidly) just wear boots and a helmet for protection :smirk: but ive worn a pressure suit that belongs to my buddy before, just to try it out, and it was alot better for movement than a chest protector, and you can always wear the chest protector on top and wear the nech brace, that way you can be super-safe :bonk:

I'v been using the fox titan jacket for a few weeks. fits really well, but may get hot in the summer. I fell and jacked up my shoulder a month ago so I bought it hoping it will help next time.

Elbow guards are the only piece of protection that I've bought so far and couldn't adjust to. They give me major arm pump. I've tried 2 different styles. I'd love the comfort of the protection, but I just can't take the friggin' arm pump!

Nothing is going to protect you from dislocating your shoulder or breaking your collar bone. The best you could do is lot's of stretching and strengthen your shoulders by working out.

Elbow protection is a good idea, that's one of the most common injuries.

You could mate one of these

http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php/choose-your-sport/mx/leatt-body-protector-adventure

with a neck brace, the packages don't get much better.

I think RP would cut out the extras, but a dirtbiker would want all the gear, all the time.

Chest protectors with shoulder guards attached, look for one that states leatt (or other) neck brace compatible, elbow guards are a good idea-yes.

Yep ..don't forget the chest protector...

I had a slow get off 2 weeks ago and broke 6 ribs...Guess who was a slacker and wasn't wearing one..:bonk::bonk:

I ditto what the guys said about the six-six-one pressure suit. I check trees all the time (and the ground for that matter) and it does a good job protecting my forearms on up. You can still get pelted in the chest and I can't wear my leatt brace (comfortably) with it, the spine protector always pushes it up.

I'm prob going to switch to a traditional roost protector and just wear elbow/shin guards

A year ago, I had a slow get off in a whoop section, and was only wearing my jersey. Shoulder and elbow rash lasted for months and I still have a deep scar on my shoulder.

Fell a few times this season in a similar way with no visible signs of rash, just because I was wearing my chest protector and elbow/knee pads...will never leave home without them again...so worth it!

Nothing is going to protect you from dislocating your shoulder or breaking your collar bone. The best you could do is lot's of stretching and strengthen your shoulders by working out.

Elbow protection is a good idea, that's one of the most common injuries.

You could mate one of these

http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php/choose-your-sport/mx/leatt-body-protector-adventure

with a neck brace, the packages don't get much better.

Spendy, but hard to beat that setup.

I have the Leatt Body Protector (and Leatt Club II). It's pretty sweet except when it comes to the sleeves. The zip off sleeves (which only zip half-way around the arm), the big holes inside of the elbows and the lack of elbow pad straps leave a lot to be desired. In fact, the sleeves flat-out suck, in my opinion. I will have to use mine with the sleeves zipped off and use some other elbow pads. A bummer at $229. Would I buy it again, knowing what I know now? Probably. The rest of the system is that good.

Elbow guards are the only piece of protection that I've bought so far and couldn't adjust to. They give me major arm pump. I've tried 2 different styles. I'd love the comfort of the protection, but I just can't take the friggin' arm pump!

The ones I got didn't really work for me, either. The elastic straps had to be too tight in order for the velcro patches to meet up. I spent an hour or two adjusting the amount and location of the velcro (a sewing machine is just another tool every man should have), and it's muuuuch better. No more arm pump and a lot more comfortable from the minute I put them on. Still stay put.

My first time falling off my buddy's wife's quad at 10 mph didn't even bleed where my elbow hit the ground, but the strawberry I got through the jersey ended up being a pretty big scar. Fortunately, it's fading. $12 of elbow protection would have prevented it. Spent almost that much on Neosporin.

ATGATT