Sign in to follow this  

yz250 vs cr250

ok, im selling my ktm 125 and was wondering whats the better bike, yz 250 or cr250.

i ride on my own land, mainly wide open fields with my friends who are mainly on 450 quads.

so for me power comes before suspension.

Motors changed quite a but over the years. 99 up YZ motor pretty much the same as it is now which is strong and smooth. 01 cr250 was considered the best motor for that bike. I can attest to that as I owned one. After 01 they changed quite a bit and I consider Cr's to be a bit more tricky when jetting.

I would not be too worried about power when you ride with 450 quads. 2T 250mx bike will make quick work of a stock 450 quad.

so for me power comes before suspension.

this is where you've got it backwards. suspension always comes before power. any bozo can build a motor. however, if the geometry of the bike is so wrong from the factory then it can never be fixed. besides, the whole point of a motorcycle is to be manuverable and that is accomplished best with good suspension. besides, IIRC, some quads, even though they have 450cc motors are quite toned down compared to MX bike motors. i may be talking out of my ass though.

For riding in open fields the stock suspension on any MX bike will not be ideal anyways no matter which one you get.

IMO, I think the CR250 is better.. I've had like five CR's and they have never given me any problems.. And I heard that the 01 CR250's had the best engines.. But they have the older style frame..

Find the best condition bike for your budget, they have more than enough power. Wouldn't pass by a RM or KX or ktm either if the price is right. If you want motor ktm SX, even the early ones seemed to make you hang on a little harder.

this is where you've got it backwards. suspension always comes before power. any bozo can build a motor. however, if the geometry of the bike is so wrong from the factory then it can never be fixed. besides, the whole point of a motorcycle is to be manuverable and that is accomplished best with good suspension. besides, IIRC, some quads, even though they have 450cc motors are quite toned down compared to MX bike motors. i may be talking out of my ass though.

yes but also most bikes stock will handle decent or well enough for what i need.