Sign in to follow this  

dead engine starts in gear-got it!

I love my 11 RMZ but was having trouble getting consistent dead engine starts while keeping bike in 1st gear. I tried some different oils,swapped EFI plugs,cleaned and polished up the clutch parts,checked every plate for thickness,warping,etc. I tried mulitpe idle settings and even calibrated the TPS (which was good stock). After doing all this, the bike was firing up awesome and definitely had better throttle response. I had put on an FMF exhaust, so that could be responsible for the better throttle response. So after all this-still couldn get predictable in-gear dead engine starts:banghead:

Today I tried a different approach..All I did was let the clutch out until the bike creeped and revved it for about 2 seconds. Basically, heating up the clutch a bit and freeing up the plates. I immediately hit the kill button and hold the clutch lever in. After doing this, I was able to get the bike lit in gear:thumbsup: I waited from 10 seconds to 2 minutes in between shutting it off and restarting-it fired up each and every time. First kick in first gear!

Not sure if its anything else that helped, but I found that Rotella T6 synthetic to be the easiest to start with in gear. I had tried Lucas 10w40, Rotella 15w40 and Motorex. The rotella 15w40 definitely had the most drag and made the clutch plates sticky. EFI coupler didn't really change starting. FMF exhaust didn't change starting either,but made the powerband stronger and broader. Adjusting the TPS didn't really make a change since it was correct,but if your TPS is off it can make a huge difference. I got this bike for MX,but I keep messing with it to see how it would be offroad. So far it seems like it would be a great bike for harescrambles.

From my personal experience the oil weight or type never made a real difference, slipping the clutch and then killing it with the clutch lever in (and holding it) made all the difference.