Sign in to follow this  

1994 kx 250

Buying a 94 KX 250. The kid is delivering in next few hours. I haven't researched this bike and wondering if you gurus knew of any major things to look for. Bought the bike for $550 and it has nearly new tires and a

FMF Gnarly pipe with FMF Turbine Core II Spark Arrestor.

He says the output shaft does have a small leak. I did not even go look at it. I figured for $550 delivered I would just park it and go through it next spring.

I sold all my bikes this summer and have been jonesing for a ride for a few months now. I was searching for a basket case so I think I did ok.

Pictures from craigslist ad. I am sure they will be taken down in a day or so..so I will be sure to take a few before winter sets in hard..(hopefully but in Michigan ya never know.)

5Y35U15S23kb3p53l6bc5b9a98e4addef1f94.jpg

5Q15T35P03kc3m13p0bc50de55f05e2fa12f4.jpg

Good bike with no real problems. The lower shock bearing needs to be looked at, they are always shot. Also check the frame where the link hooks up, they crack. Jeekinz is rebuilding one to like new and he will be able to point out more things. Congrats on your score and have fun with it.

Ed

The frame is like glass so you most likely have some cracks that need to be repaired. The rear brake lever pivot is welded to the frame and takes a bit of work to replace. The powervalves are discontinued but you can use other years if you modify them.

Those are the major things. Check out my restoration thread for some details, I know that bike like the back of my hand now.

Just rolled it in. It needs new seat foam and cover. I also checked and rear linkage bearings are toast...but besides that its rideable :smirk::bonk:

Jeekins you still have those tank shrouds and fenders you got for free....I feel entitled to ask:p

BTW...the pipe is a FMF BURLEY...not narley

No, I dont have those anymore. I have a fmf gold pipe and a few other small things Im not using.

When I stripped my frame , it took me nearly a whole day welding and blending all the cracks.

No, I dont have those anymore. I have a fmf gold pipe and a few other small things Im not using.

When I stripped my frame , it took me nearly a whole day welding and blending all the cracks.

yeah I know....I read that entire thread...my bike is not getting that much love...hell it will be lucky to get completely washed. :bonk:

Edited by Blackwoodz

Wow just ripped the sod out of my sideyard....Man this thing has some get up and rip to it.

I have been scouring ebay this afternoon. I want some descent graphics but I am not willing to pay $150 for a set of cookie cutter lame stickers.

The tank shrouds are faded abit but nothing really wrong with them. Front and rear fender are the worst cosmetically. Nothing broke just faded really bad with a few stress marks. Trying to decide if I should buy a complete set of acerbis or just the fenders.

I see a white UFO rear fender on ebay. Anyone mounted one of these up? How does it look with the white rear?

I also see grnsales has some descent prices on some gripper seat covers. Anyone know if they hold up?

welcome to the green side. i hope the kx gives you great fun. hope it is more fun than the cr125 i sold ya was. :bonk:

welcome to the green side. i hope the kx gives you great fun. hope it is more fun than the cr125 i sold ya was. :bonk:

Dave....!!!!!! good to hear from you.

That CR was fun and it was fun building back from bits and pieces. :smirk:

This KX was all together and runs......wow don't know how to act.

I see a 98 KX parts bikes and some spare new plastics from a CL ad in Davison.

He has a seat and new front and rear fenders for $80. I have emailed him but no reply as of yet.

I have a buddy whose kid rides with the indoor MX track owners son...the one off Dort. Hoping to get to ride there some time this winter.

Did you ever get that 250/500 assembled?

yeah, i got it running. had a blast on it till i swamped it.:bonk: i destroyed the topend and it ate all the bearings in the case. so i split it the other day, pulled all the bearings from the crank the trans...except one that doesnt want to budge:foul: im planning on putting a bigbore in it, aftermarket head with changeable domes.

• Like 1

if you know someone that rides there, cool beans. that site belongs to the Michigan Mafia and is reserved for memebers. ive seen pis and looks awsome.

Yeah my buddy has a kid that won D14 85 jr championship this year.

Dalton McDonald. The kid is fats as hell. He did a 102 foot triple on his 85 this summer at birchrun.

I have my new KX completely stripped as of today. It all looks good but needs the frame blasted and new paint. I have new plastics and seat for it I found on CL in Davison and need to order a set of new linkage bearings. I am not sure I will keep it but it keeps me busy and out of the honky tonks....:bonk:

ill be stripping mine down and getting it powder coated as well. im never selling mine. keeping it and my 3 wheeler till i die...lol. i want to get new rims as well. thinking warp 9 and new spokes. my rear rim has loose spokes that are rusted and cant be adjusted...i tried. if i cant get warp 9 rims, ill see about d.i.d rims. i have a new rear sprocket, air filter, tires, tubes, rimlocs, handlebars, risers and controls and a i.m.s desert tank. i need a few other goodies. the tank is for a 99 kx, so i will need shrouds and make them work.:bonk:

I saw your post about making it street legal. I have a handle bar switch and a pressure switch for the brake light if you need them. I also read that you did not want a battery but the lights dim and brighten more when not using a battery. You can daisey chain double A rechargeable batteries and keep it small.

Do you have a powder coater guy? I will probably just have a guy in creek spray mine a matte black. The rims on mine are straight and it has new wheel bearings. The spokes are pretty tarnished but will just clean them and wheels with wd and 1000 steel wool. I don't think the guy ever washed the bike. It took me an hour just cleaning the muck from the crevices.

I was impressed though I did not find one crack in the frame or subframe. It only had one missing boss nut missing on the entire bike.

theres a powdercoater located on corunna rd outside lennon. i will stop and inquire when i can. my bike was power washed alot im guesssing cause it was clean. but nothing was ever taken apart and greased. i had to replace alot of bearings. the swingarm was the worse. along with the shock upper and lower bearings and the link bearings.

yeah sometimes power washing is even worse on some things that leaving the greasey muck. Of all the linkage and swing arm bearings only one was bad...most of them were really good. The swing arm has no rub marks from chain either. The back of the engine near output shaft shows where at some point it slung a chain. Some one smeared some j-b but from what I can see there are no leaks now. I will most likely remove the j-b and have it tigged if needed but not till after I ride it some to see how I like it.

Did you ever build that 500 beast motor?

dont have the money to pick up a 500. wish i did, really want one pretty badly. i just got back from great lakes power sports. i picked up a brand new seat cover by ceet at 75% off. got it for $17.00 they have all kinds of stuff on clearance cause they are moving. if you need sprockets, they have a ton of them. fronts and rears, just have to dig threw the pile.

they very in price. from 25 to 75% off. i didnt notice to much pricing on them since i just bought a rear sprocket, wasnt to interested. some were in the packaging and some werent. they were ranging from street to offroad, and different brands. yeah, they were bought out and are moving into a building right off the new harley davidson store.

as for the cases that i have, they are to an 87 kx250. they look like 500 cases but thats cause they are huge.:bonk: