Sign in to follow this  

somewhat real world tests of gearing options and such

so, i've been thinking about things..... i am going to re-gear my 03 drz400s so its a little more highway friendly..... existing configuration is all stock motor (well, egr/emsions delted) with a 14/46 combo. i have my dirt tires with a 47t rear.... and honestly, can't feel a damn difference in the 2 power wise.

i just bought a 16/41 combo to try out..... was thinking i'd try out some different combos and give some real world feedback on what the differences feels like... such as 14/41, 16/46, 16/41 in addition to the existing 14/46 combo. and some things like fuel mileage difference i observe and such.

and i am planning on doing the jetting and 3x3 airbox mod and maybe re run some of the tests.

but, i'm having an issue coming up with some true tests..... things i can think of is 0-65mph and maybe 20-70mph tests.... i figure i'll record them all via helmet cam and then use a stopwatch on that afterwards. plus note any differences in 'feel'... which i know that is a very subjective term..

another test i was thinking of is timing accel through a corners... ie, slow down to x roll through the corner and accelerate out of.... do you feel that'd be usefull?

or is it all just lame? LOL

on the side note, i've read that 16/41 combo can be bad cause it bogs the motor..... i don't see myself as a 'hard' riders, i just don't like having the bike wound up to 8k just so i don't get run over on the street at 65 mph. but i'm generally fairly easy with the throttle and try to roll in and out of it.

Well consider that 15/44 is standard for an S. So you are geared quite low at 14/46. You might want to start from standard gear ratio and experiment from there. Huge difference 14/46 to 16/41

Why bother with timed acceleration runs if performance is not the goal?

Well consider that 15/44 is standard for an S. So you are geared quite low at 14/46. You might want to start from standard gear ratio and experiment from there. Huge difference 14/46 to 16/41

Why bother with timed acceleration runs if performance is not the goal?

honestly..... I don't know... :bonk: I'm just thinking of things that can give a real difference other than 'feel' it must be the engineering side of me.... LOL

I know that 16/41 is a pretty big leap from 14/46. which is why i do want to try and run an intermediate version. of the 14/41 which is equivalent to a 15/44 combo iirc which is what originally woulda been on my bike.

i may find i'm happy with the 14/41 and stick with that for all i know lol

just trying to find a way to 'give back' to you guys here for all the answers you've given me already.

the main differences are when you have to shift to 2nd, and how buzzy the bike gets at 65, or 75 or whatever you cruise at.

try some tight single track with each combo, and you'll find 14/47 or so works best. since normal street riding doesn't need much clutch work, 15/44 works well. interstate riding for more than a few minutes = get a different bike !

the 0-60 stuff isn't really that interesting. it's just numbers on paper really. the corner stuff, and wether you loft the front is a heck of a lot more interesting.

just be careful with the dirt tires and gearing coming out of the corners, you can end up washing the rear out fairly easy

- ok, get on with it ! :bonk:

If you are doing acceleration tests to 70mph I can save you some time and tell you what gearing is going to win....From the combos above its the 14/46 you have now...

Stock engines with stock gearing are best suited for general purpose use...gear it as short as you like with no problem....it's when you try it go taller is when the engine torque will struggle to pull it...

For your highway stuff I would just go to a 15/41 set up with stock engine..

Remember the more power an engine produces the taller gearing it will support..

Ive been running a 16/44 combo and have been quite happy with it. Much better at highway speeds and still enough low end for casual trail riding. I do live in eastern NC and it is flat with very little hills. I havent noticed any difference in gas mileage probably because the bike is revving out longer in between gear shifts.

thanks guys :bonk:

i have a set of 80/20 street tires that i'm gonna be doing this with and a set of motoz dirt tires with a 47t sprocket on that wheel for the dirt and single tracks....

i figured i'd just get some numbers so someone could read... if i go with this xx/xx combo, i'm a full 5 seconds slower getting up to speed type of thing.

I don't really run the highway often, but its usually coming back from a ride, and i'll be on it for 30 miles or so, i figure even with the tall gears i'll just down shift in the twisty's more than i did with the 14/46 combo, which is fine by me.

trying to find that happy medium and figured i'd share some results if wanted.

i'll be trying out the combos anyways to satisfy my own curiosity lol

thank guys :smirk:

Ive been running a 16/44 combo and have been quite happy with it. Much better at highway speeds and still enough low end for casual trail riding. I do live in eastern NC and it is flat with very little hills. I havent noticed any difference in gas mileage probably because the bike is revving out longer in between gear shifts.

16/44 is the same as 15/41...:smirk:

This gearing works good with big bore and fcr...:bonk:

16/44 is the same as 15/41...:smirk:

This gearing works good with big bore and fcr...:bonk:

Yes I keep hearing about this big bore and fcr :banana:

Yes I keep hearing about this big bore and fcr :banana:

Sorry but it's in my nature to encourage people to have a good time....:smirk:

With that big bore and fcr thing = better performance = bigger smile....:busted:

Comments such as "I wished I had done it ages ago" and "Is this the same bike?" often accompany the bigger smile....:bonk: