Sign in to follow this  

Big Mess with Paperwork

I'll try to keep this short.

Couple of years ago I bought a 2000 DR650 and for a variety of reasons only recently went to get tags, registration and title. It turns out that the PO didn't give me the title but just part of the carbon form from the original. I screwed up--I trusted him. The ladies at the county office tell me not only can I not title the bike, but in fact I don't actually own it. Legally, that is.

To complicate matters, the seller is an officer in the USAF and has moved to another state. Also, I have moved to another state! He won't return my letters, The USAF will not get involved in what they call a civil matter and neither of us residing in the state of the sale makes it seem impossible to pursue any legal action.

Is buying a titled frame a viable option for me??

I'm in Florida now and not familiar with their rules but I'm obviously dead in the water with what I have.

Any suggestions welcome!

Do you have a Bill of Sale?

In many states you can file for a lost title or similar. Might be a waiting period to give PO chance to challenge then they issue a new title in your name.

Don't know why PO wouldn't offer a witnessed letter of explanation for DOL.

You might have an issue with the state for not transferring in a timely manner and owing sales tax/fees.

Bruce

I do have a BOS, but it's a hand written, UN-notarized piece of scrawl that probably isn't going to help me much.

I'll try the lost title approach if that's available in NE.

In the end I may have to look at getting a titled frame to put all my parts on.

Thanks

There is probably some kind of lien that can be placed on the bike. If the PO does not claim it in 30 days or so, the bike is legally yours. Your state laws may vary. My friend bought his bike from a towing company. They picked up an abandoned bike after a wreck. No one claimed it, so they get the title. Talk to a towing company or a mechanic. They deal with this kind of thing and might be to help you.

Thats a bummer to hear for sure. There are a few options, but, in most states you are legally required to at least in some form release the seller from liability, and accept ownership within a few days of transfer, so after a few years youre hanging your ass in the wind so to speak.

Not all is lost. Most states allow for a bonded title, and you pay a "company" to bond the title, do their due diligence, and after a prescribed amount of time, they can release the title to you free and clear.

Having done deployments for Uncle Sam in the past, please do give the servicemember a bit of leeway, as they may very well be deployed and unable to receive, in a timely fashion, any correspondance you mail them. I have no idea how long you have been trying to contact him, so forgive me if its been years.

Contact your local Motor Vehicle Registry,or whatever its called and ask what your options are. The lame phone voice on the other end may not know all the answers, or even be willing to look, but I am sure you can figure it out. thousands of vehicles are transfered on lien sales and other crap daily, so there is without question a "way" to do it, legally.

Lots of encouraging information here. Thanks to all who have posted. I haven't completely given up on the PO but will go the Vermont route and see how that goes.

Yes, I'm patient. I'm in FL, my DR is in NE, My GSXR can is in Iowa, and both of my bikes keys are lost in the mail. Eventually I'll get all my ducks in a row.

I do have a BOS, but it's a hand written, UN-notarized piece of scrawl that probably isn't going to help me much.

That should be fine.

I had to get a bonded title for a car once. The seller 'skipped title'- he bought it, fixed it up and sold it to me without ever registering it in his name, so he could avoid paying taxes to the state. Since the name on the title and the name of the seller on the BOS didn't match, the State (Colorado) wouldn't let me transfer the title. Getting a bonded title was a little hassle and a little more money but it worked out.

..............shu

In WA state you can do a ownership-in-doubt (OID) process. State Patrol must inspect bike to verify VIN on physical machine does not come up stolen. Once they fill out form you take that to Dept. of Licensing and apply for OID.

You get to register bike for three years and then a title comes after you pay small fee. Very similiar to actually having title in that you can register/ride the bike. :bonk:

While at a headquarters level, the usaf might not want to get involved, if you found out where he was stationed and with what unit he was with, any contact with his unit will get you results.If nothing else at least you would get a reply. If he is intentionally avoiding you for legal reasons he could be charged with conduct unbecoming an officer. I'm retired USMC, so Im not bashing..But if I avoided legal action my superiors would have gotten involved and it would not have been pretty.

in oklahoma its called a title 51. basically you put a lein on the title, or you go through the process or pay someone to advertise the bike in the notices section of the paper, then after a couple weeks its yours.