Sign in to follow this  

Big problem!!!!!!!

I have an 83 XT 550, When i got the bike it was in need of help so I took the carbs off and cleaned them. I just put the carbs on tonite and kicked the bike over with a shot of starting fluid through the carbs. Now the problem, it started and within 20 seconds or less of running the front pipes got red glowing hot!!!! now the describstion for you, I cleaned the carbs gave it a shot of starting fluid and the air box was left off when I started it. So my question is what is up with my bike??? Was it way too lean just not having a air box or an air filter? or is there something else that is really wrong with the motor in my bike. Really need some input thanks

It sounds as though it is running lean probably due to un restricted airflow from the airfilter being removed and the carb jetted for having the airfilter and box intact . Back when I was younger and was racing 2-strokes we would drill large holes in the airbox so that the engine would get more air and we would jet the carbs accordingly so the engines wouldn't run lean and seize up . Put the filter back on try it but don't run it hard until your sure it's not running lean . You should pull the spark plug and see how it looks as well .

I will pull the plug today and look at it and I will also put the air box back on and see if it makes a difference. thanks