Sign in to follow this  

Couple questions

Hey guys, so I got my RM250 yesterday and I already have some questions.

-Is the rear suspension supposed to be very stiff on this bikes? The guy who had it adjusted the spring to its maximum and it was like a rock, I now loosened it almost completely and the bike is still pretty damn hard..

-The forks are leaking, I noticed the smaller tube on the forks, the bottom one, has some rust spots on it, what can I do to prevent the new fork seals from breaking?

-The engine is feeling great, but is there any way to know when I'll need a top end already, I don't know how many hours the bike had on it and I'm pretty sure they never changed the top end. I know they had it laying around and barely rode it.

Thanks!

1. Strip inspect and be prepared to replace your linkage and swingarm bearings. That's why it's so stiff. Don't mess with the rear shock unless your sure you can set the sag correctly

2. Hard to say what u can do about your forks without seeing them.

3. Change the top end NOW! inspect the reeds, clutch, play in con rod etc etc. It's worth doing instantly on a newly purchased bike so you know where ur at with it. Good luck :bonk:

Ill take some pics of the forks tomorrow or on friday hopefully and I'll post em.

As for the shocks what exactly is the sag?

thanks!

Hey guys, so I got my RM250 yesterday and I already have some questions.

-Is the rear suspension supposed to be very stiff on this bikes? The guy who had it adjusted the spring to its maximum and it was like a rock, I now loosened it almost completely and the bike is still pretty damn hard..

-The forks are leaking, I noticed the smaller tube on the forks, the bottom one, has some rust spots on it, what can I do to prevent the new fork seals from breaking?

-The engine is feeling great, but is there any way to know when I'll need a top end already, I don't know how many hours the bike had on it and I'm pretty sure they never changed the top end. I know they had it laying around and barely rode it.

Thanks!

1. i have to agree with what was said, the previous owner probably never greased the linkage or shock bearings and they may need to be replaced or at the very least cleaned and greased.

2. when we see the pictures i'm sure you can get better direction about that, but if the seals are already leaking, you may need to put some new seals in but if the inner tubes have rust, that would need to be delt with first.

3. As stated above, it is always a good idea to just do a top end right away in a used bike. it's like $150 and that is cheap insurance to be sure your engine won't blow and cost you much more. And you will also get the benefit of looking at the top end and rod so you know what condition all of the parts (power valve, rod, head, cylinder, etc.) are in for the future.

4. the sag is how much the back end goes down (saggs) when not on a stand and/or when the rider is on board. there are to different sag numbers. one is free sag which is figured this way...... put the bike on a stand so that the rear tire is off the ground. measure from the axle or swing arm to a spot on the rear fender directly above. then take the bike off of the stand and measure the distance between the same two spots again. the difference between these two numbers is the free sag...... next is race sag you use the same first number from the free sag calculation, but the second number comes from measuring the distance while the rider is on board in full riding gear. the difference between those two numbers is the race sag.

but if your shock or linkage bearings are toast, you will never get an acurate sag reading and will just be a waist of time, so check the bearings first....

i hope this helps.

he "adjusted the spring to the max"? - sounds like ride height to me (sag) this won't affect the stiffness TOO MUCH.

It's possible that your shocks compression settings are too high. Adjust the compression clicker counterclockwise and see if that helps. It's right on the outward facing side of the shock, can't miss it

Sounds like You have swingarm bearings seizing-up,,put Your bike on a stand and take the rear shock loose, and see if the swingarm moves freely,,, djsather has good advice to follow..... good luck, by the way what year model do You have... send pics........Dr.D..

He's got the pics posted at the top of the rm forum. Looks nice.

The bike is spotless.............leading me to believe...the P.O. had a power washer. But didn't spray the graphics directly.

My bike has stains, streaks, etc......but nothing is seized.....kind of like Dr DK without all the garish stickers !!!!

Ever rode your bike at the beach ???? I bet Puerto Rico....is pretty salty wherever you go.

Okay guy's, about the rust on the inner tube of the forks, we put some penetrant on it last night and tonight I tried to wipe some rust off and most of it did come out, tomorrow I'll have more time so I'll try and get all the rust off of the forks with this method and I'll let you know how it goes. I already ordered the fork oil and dust seals and will replace them once here.

He's got the pics posted at the top of the rm forum. Looks nice.

The bike is spotless.............leading me to believe...the P.O. had a power washer. But didn't spray the graphics directly.

My bike has stains, streaks, etc......but nothing is seized.....kind of like Dr DK without all the garish stickers !!!!

Ever rode your bike at the beach ???? I bet Puerto Rico....is pretty salty wherever you go.

From what I know the bike was not ridden near beaches, the guy who sold it to me said that he bought it and quickly put it for sale because it was his first bike and was too big and powerful for him to learn on it. However, he told me the previous owner which he knew have had the bike laying around unridden for a very long time. Maybe the lack of use and due to the great humidity here in P.R could have caused some damage. My brother is a mechanic and when he has some time we will check for the bearings condition.

Thanks for your help!!

Guys last night we put the bike on a stand and realized that the suspension is not just hard, its stuck. When we put the bike on a stand the rear wheel didnt drop, I had to push it down while my brother held the front of the bike down. We then put the bike down and on a stand again and the wheel once again didnt go down. Maybe some use will losen it up?

You need to take the linkage apart and replace any seized parts, my linkage (93 RM250) is in the same kind of condition, I have to replace a couple of bolts, probably the bearings as well, only problem is the bottom shock bolt is stuck... Old bikes are fun.

Guys last night we put the bike on a stand and realized that the suspension is not just hard, its stuck. When we put the bike on a stand the rear wheel didnt drop, I had to push it down while my brother held the front of the bike down. We then put the bike down and on a stand again and the wheel once again didnt go down. Maybe some use will losen it up?

Told You so,,, I wouldn't lie to a dirt-bike Brother,,,,,get it fixed, and have some Fun........going to ride My Bike Tomorrow,, I just added some dirt to My big jump,,,,, have a good one..........Dr.D..