Sign in to follow this  

2010 450sxf woods bike ?

so i bought a 2010 450sxf used a coulpe months ago and im trying to set it up for woods riding i regeared it 18" rear wheel, hand guards.its a great bike its light, very fast but the suspension is harsh it overheats quickly i know its not really meant for the riding im doing but my question is shoud i keep modding it i. want to do a heavy flywheel, revalve the suspension kickstand, and a fan kit. or should i get another bike i really like the new fuel injected wr450 thats coming out or a new 450exc. so would i be better off with a new bike or stick with what i have i dont mind spending the money on a new bike i just want a great trail bike

A 450 is a lot of bike for the woods. If I were to consider the top 5 riders in Minnesota racing Hare scrambles where I am, they are on 250fs (yamaha -- 1st and 2nd), 1 450 and 2 250 strokes. These are of course, young and fast AA riders which doesn't always relate to everyone. 450s are a lot of fun, but on a trail ride, that HP may be a bit of a detriment. My 250f never overheats and is a lot of fun in the woods. If I lived where it is more open, then I might consider something else.

Fan kit would work, but maybe look into oversized radiators?? Im not sure whats available for the ktm, but for the japanese bikes they sell oversized radiators on ebay for about $110 bucks that are 30-40% larger and dual core (fluidyne copies) and they work great for keeping my 450 cool in the woods, much better than oem.

Revalve is also a must. You'll have a great bike of you revalve and fix the overheating.

yeah ive been thinking about a 250 my ktm dealer has a 2011 250 xcfw for a really good price but im afraid that it wont have enough power ive never riden a 250

Depends how tight the woods are.. if its all tight single track or even tight quad trails the 250f is probably better but if u get into any open stuff like roads or gravel road or open fields 250f just doesn't have the top speed to keep up... They are geared short so they have plenty of power just no speed.

if it were me and i didnt have a very tight budget, i would get over sized rads and a fan so i have nothing to worry about. im sure ktm offers an oversized rad, they always seem to have alot of extra things and dont really ever overlook much when it comes to ktm. just ask at your dealer. you could probvably find them on ebay too for much cheaper, or if you cant find anything, you could always have some built or modified to fit your bike.

but buy the fan too so you can ride comfortably without worrying if your bike is getting to hot.