Sign in to follow this  

Suspension revalve for 2012 KTM 250XC

Anyone here had their 2012 KTM 250xc (2-stroke) revalved? If so, who did it, what is your honest impression and what did it cost? Only interested in responses to the 250 2-stroke.

Thanks,

Dave

Hey Dave, I have a 2011 300xc, I thought it was awesome stock! So I didn't want to spend any money to screw it up! I talked to the guys at coppersmith and they recommended that I just spring it for my weight, Heavier springs. They said the valving was a good setup stock. I ended up with an Ohlins rear shock cause mine blew up! I am very happy with it! I was happy with the stock one as well.

I put heavier springs in the forks and they are awesome! Wish I would have done it sooner!

So I wouldn't spend a penny on a revalve and just get the correct springs for your weight!

Alot of guys want a plush ride and really who would'nt? The problem is that alot of suspension tuners make the valving so soft that it's plush if your slow and sucks if your fast! The heavier fork springs gave my bike a smoother ride and made it work better!

Good Luck!

Big difference between the 2011 and 2012!!! I have the 12 XC with linkage. The forks have a 22mm offset unlike the XC-W. I've ridden the non linkage bikes, both XC and XC-W. The XC-W doesn't have the turning issues that my linkage bike has. The front end is all over the place etc. I've already re-sprung the bike but it appears that i may need to change the triple clamps to a 19mm offset.

I did a revalve on my 2012 250xc. GP moto did mine up here in Canada. I am trying a different approach to valving this year. I usually run a stiffer setting as I practice on a motocross track and race HS. Suspension is really good, its soft which intially I wasnt used to but as with this KTM and the my previous 09s, they need a stabilizer. I ran 7hrs on the suspension with no stabilizer to see what the bike felt like, put the stabilizer on and it made the world of difference. I started at 100mm of sag, then 98mm, then 96mm and now im back to 98mm. As for price, I cant really say to much as I get support from them but your looking at about 500 for the revalve and if you need springs add another 400 or so. If you do dig in, splurge on the extra 150 and get a X-trig, its simply amazing.

The last few years the stock WP valving has been pretty darn good as long

as your in the correct weight range. I've tried other revalves and the stock seems to work best overall...

what I don't know about is the off set from year to year. I've got a 2011 250XC , anyone know what the stock off set is?

stock offset is 22mm for the XC and 19mm for the XC-W. Huge difference in how they turn!!! The linkage rear on the 2012 works quite well. It is the front end that is the problem. It does not want to turn and the front end washes out won't follow ruts etc. I've changed springs and set rear preload at 98mm to get it to turn better but then it is too much load on the front making it harsh and it still does not track worth a darn. I believe that the bleed shim on the rebound stack is part of the problem but just haven't had time to change it. Also, think i may try different triple clamps and see what happens. Lot's of people complaining about this but no-one seems to have a fix yet. Talk to all the big suspension companies and they tell you completely different information.

stock offset is 22mm for the XC and 19mm for the XC-W. Huge difference in how they turn!!! The linkage rear on the 2012 works quite well. It is the front end that is the problem. It does not want to turn and the front end washes out won't follow ruts etc. I've changed springs and set rear preload at 98mm to get it to turn better but then it is too much load on the front making it harsh and it still does not track worth a darn. I believe that the bleed shim on the rebound stack is part of the problem but just haven't had time to change it. Also, think i may try different triple clamps and see what happens. Lot's of people complaining about this but no-one seems to have a fix yet. Talk to all the big suspension companies and they tell you completely different information.

Dave -

When you say, "it does not want to turn and the front end washes out won't follow ruts etc.," do you mean that when the bike is leaned and front wheel steered into a corner, the front tire will break traction and skip or glide across the ground?

What did the "big suspension companies" tell you?

everyone that I know who races had to have the 12 revalved, stock was killing them way to soft. Conditions rocky rooty hills of NC.

Try forks flush with triple clamps and more sag for more front trail. If that doesn't help enough then try less offset on triple clamp$. Raising the rear and lowering the front will make the bike sketchy, won't hold a turn, pushes wide and washes out. You need more front trail not less. Trust me, try it.

I have an 11' & 12', I have the 11' dialed and it turns like a scalpel, the 12 has a differant feel in the corners and pushing the forks down helps get the balance and front end bite back.

Try forks flush with triple clamps and more sag for more front trail. If that doesn't help enough then try less offset on triple clamp$. Raising the rear and lowering the front will make the bike sketchy, won't hold a turn, pushes wide and washes out. You need more front trail not less. Trust me, try it.

isn't that opposite?

sorry for the old post but iwas doing searching about if i should revalve my 12 300xc. can't follow a rut, front end feels very weird.