Sign in to follow this  

How to store spare cylinder?

Hello,

I bought a box of parts for 100 bucks and it came with a 3000 km cylinder and piston that are in great shape. Is there anything in particular I should spray them with to protect them while they are stored in my shed (prone to humidity). Right now they are one piece with the wrist pin in the piston and the piston in the bore. I'm not sure if the piston was pulled from the cylinder when the big bore replaced it.

Cheers, Steve

Yup, plastic bag with a little oil in it will work perfect. I have the luxury of having a nice vacume sealer in the shop for packaging deer, beef .

Works perfectly, I use it for all kinds of parts when they will be stored for prolonged periods of time.

The piston pin is the most likely thing to form rust pits. I would store as given above but use marine fogging oil to preserve.

The piston pin is the most likely thing to form rust pits. I would store as given above but use marine fogging oil to preserve.

I have to ask... What is fogging oil????

Ive heard of focking oil but never fogging oil.

Is that for use when its really foggy out!? :bonk:

google fogging oil. It is a preservative oil sprayed into the intake of marine engines when they are not going to be run for a while to preserve the motor. Mostly for 2 strokes but works for 4 strokes as well. The fogging oil is loaded with rust preventative.

• Like 1

Could use some sticky two stroke oil for storage. I spray spare parts with wd and keep in zip locks.

I have to ask... What is fogging oil????

Ive heard of focking oil but never fogging oil.

Is that for use when its really foggy out!? :bonk:

Fogging oil is a common product use to store and preserver outboard or other marine motors..

It's great for all internal combustion engine "winterizing" or storing.

CRC is the brand of fogging oil I use, and most wally worlds have it in the Auto, or boating section. Any boat supply place, and many Auto parts houses.

77-06068_0.jpg

$7.00 gets you a can that will last for YEARS

Fogging oil is a common product use to store and preserver outboard or other marine motors..

It's great for all internal combustion engine "winterizing" or storing.

CRC is the brand of fogging oil I use, and most wally worlds have it in the Auto, or boating section. Any boat supply place, and many Auto parts houses.

77-06068_0.jpg

$7.00 gets you a can that will last for YEARS

Interesting. Never heard of it before. :bonk:

:smirk::lol::banana: not surprised , no one reads the FAQ :bonk:

Winterizing Your Ride!

Published by Eddie Sisneros

01-07-2005

Written 2005 and posted to the FAQ

In part

Engine & Cooling System

A fresh oil change should be done before you store your bike. Dirty engine oil contains corrosive contaminates that you don’t want to leave in the engine over the winter. I also prefer to install a fresh spark plug at the same time. If you’re in a coastal region, a fogging oil should be applied through the spark plug hole also. The fogging oil will be available at some auto parts stores and definitely at boat/marine shops. With the spark plug out, shoot a few sprays down the spark hole and turn the motor over a few times. Once the fogging oil has been applied, install the fresh spark plug. The cooling system should also be prepared. You need to make sure that the coolant is up to spec. Fresh coolant is a good idea, but you can check the condition with a hydrometer that should be available at any auto parts store. With any motorcycle fluid, when in doubt change it. Besides engine fluids, the brake and clutch fluid (KTM or Magura Juice Clutch) should be topped off and replaced if there is any doubt. Brake fluid naturally draws moisture over time, so changing it before you store you bike each year is a good idea.

I will be honest and say I have never heard of it before..It does sound like very useful stuff...

For members that are not familiar with this product , here is some more info I read about it.....

"The ideal way to protect and preserve expensive marine engines during down time or winter weather is with Sierra Fogging Oil specifically designed to be sprayed inside the engine to protect from rust and corrosion. Suitable for two and four stroke engines and stern drives."

"Fogging oil provides a protective chemical coating film without leaving a greasy residue or a smoky discharge upon restarting"

:busted::lol::awww: not surprised , no one reads the FAQ :smirk:

Winterizing Your Ride!

Published by Eddie Sisneros

01-07-2005

Written 2005 and posted to the FAQ

In part

dang E ! ... i am a avid reader of the FAQ , and fully aware of the effort you put in .. i tried to give you gas for it but the system rejected me :banana:

the system says i have to share the goodness around first :bonk:

I use LPS 3 Heavy-Duty Rust Inhibitor for metal 'stuff' that I think will be sitting around in my garage a long time. It creates a thick oily coating when you spray it on. You have to use WD-40 to clean it off when you actually want to use it.

I have been using fogging oil for over 30 years. Started in the outboards and lawnmowers. Basically any gas engine put away for the winter. 2 or 4 strokes it does not matter. Go to Canadian Tire.