Sign in to follow this  

2010 400 EXC vs 450 EXC.. so confused as to which one to get!

I'm going to pick either one up tonight.. but I still don't know which one to put my money on.

I've had a YZ125, YZ250, DRZ400E and a KTM640 LC-4 (supermoto)..

I LOVE MXers like the YZ's, but for the riding I'll be doing i need a rego'd bike. I was much quicker on the YZ125 than on the YZ250 as I felt like I was riding the 125, whereas on the 250 I felt like it was taking me on a ride.

I love big torque for super easy wheelies, etc.. but in mud, too much is sometimes an enemy, I also like the sound of the 400 being a short-stroke motor with less reciprocating mass.. to me it sounds like the 400 is more YZ125ish and the 450 is more YZ250ish.

So for those of you in Aus.. I'll be riding the Watagans most of the time, with the occasional treck to Stockton.. I'm 72kg's with gear on.. would you go the 400 or the 450? Keep in mind there will be no road riding at all.

One major concern is parts availability and resale. I noticed there are heaps of 450's around, but very few 400's. I'm thinking come resale time, most people see 450 and automatically think it's quicker than the 400.. also, being fewer 400's around would I struggle for parts?

Anyone care to help me decide? I've narrowed it down to 2 bikes, one is a 400 and one is a 450.. I've got time to see one of them this afternoon and I have the cash with me... just don't know which one to go look at

My riding buddy will be on the 450 EXC (brand newy)

just pull the trigger, get the 450, you wont regret it.

I'm having the same thoughts... although now I'm also considering the 530 as I hear it has a 'soft' mode which might get me out of trouble in the tight stuff, then I can flick it back to the punchy mode for the fire trails..

450/530 both are weapons. :bonk: 450 engine seems to spin up a little quicker whilst 530 just tractors up the hills. either way u can't go wrong.

If u've got the skillz go big... :bonk:

...I got the 400 because i'm a rookie and started riding late as an old fart.

That being said a short stroke big bore is in my future as soon as I wear out this piston and/or jug. :banana:

:smirk:

If I'm not too late, here are my 2 cents

Depends on the Terrain you ride. I have a 2010 450exc and love it, with Revloc autoclutch it's pretty much unstoppable. Great for all terrain and fast when it opens up.

That said, i rode a mates 09 400 xc-w for a full day in tight trees and single track

and really liked it, even got comments on how fast I was.

400 has enough power to do everything, especially with a 12T front. But not enough

power to really get out of hand, the 450 can surprise you sometimes, ton's of power when it hooks up and you thought it might just spin. and I'm 100kb.

both bikes are excellent, only issue I know of is 400cc aftermarket piston and rings are not available - must pay top dollar for KTM parts. 450 you can get a full pistona and rings for not much more than just Rings from ktm.

Go Orange Enduro and enjoy

Stu from Canada Eh'

I did a ton of reading before I got my 09 400XC-W. Most people who've been on both seem to echo excstu...the 400 is great for tight woods riding (more controllable power and lighter weight feeling do to less reciprocating mass). If you've in more open areas go for the 450.

I wouldn't worry about parts. For the most part the bikes are identical. And if you ever need a piston for a 400 a lot of people bore it to a 453 and claim it's the bike KTM should have built.

well I went with the 530EXC.. just put it in the garage now. I'm surprised how small the bike felt, I was expecting something more like the 640LC4. Only time will tell how I get on with it on the dirt, but I like the ergonomics so far.

And if you ever need a piston for a 400 a lot of people bore it to a 453 and claim it's the bike KTM should have built.

Note that this refers primarily to the older 400 RFS engine.

well I went with the 530EXC.. just put it in the garage now. I'm surprised how small the bike felt, I was expecting something more like the 640LC4. Only time will tell how I get on with it on the dirt, but I like the ergonomics so far.

nice choice, you won't be disappointed. Is the bike brand new? If so there a few simple mods to be done (jd jet kit and desmog) to get her breathing fire.

ahh, I see you are in aus. If the bike has not been re-jetted then recomend getting the jd kit. Forgot what I said about de-smog. cheers.

nice choice, you won't be disappointed. Is the bike brand new? If so there a few simple mods to be done (jd jet kit and desmog) to get her breathing fire.
ahh, I see you are in aus. If the bike has not been re-jetted then recomend getting the jd kit. Forgot what I said about de-smog. cheers.

thanks grummetta.. the bike isn't brand new, it's a '09 model.

Funnily enough, I asked a friend of mine (KTM race team mechanic) if he knew of any good bikes around.. haven't heard from him in a few days.. then when looking at this bike I find out the guy was a race team mechanic with KTM and worked with my mate.. small world! the bike was in great condition, the engine is perfect, all bearings are smooth with no play, it's been rejetted and has had the stock muffler gutted and a barrett end-cap fitted. It also has the race team graphics on it, a carbon exhaust guard, 14-48 gearing, racetech suspension, etc... came with a ton of spares (new plastics, springs, seat, standard gearing etc) plus the toolkit and original KTM bag with all the books and stuff.. Now just waiting for my buddie to get his so we can go for a ride!!

Sounds awesome! Congratulations. Maybe you could post a picture of her?

Thanks. Happy to oblige with the pics, excuse the quality, they're taken with my iPhone..

rmi35u.jpg

2lau5fp.jpg

9funex.jpg

he picked it up today! a brand new (old stock) '11 530EXC.. we're hopefully hitting some trails on Monday or Tuesday. It's been raining here for close to a month, but will be 34C on Sunday.. should be tons of mud!

he picked it up today! a brand new (old stock) '11 530EXC.. we're hopefully hitting some trails on Monday or Tuesday. It's been raining here for close to a month, but will be 34C on Sunday.. should be tons of mud!

Nice way to break in the new bike, with some good old fashion slippery mud! Well when your buddy is ready, probably after the first ride you guys can find tons on threads on here to get the best bang for your buck on which mods to do first. No way he will be able to leave it stock...............