Sign in to follow this  

Is there a KDX200 model year(s) that stands out?

After a week's worth of switching from bike to bike - after setting each one up for this rider -in a variety of terrain, she has picked the KDX200 as her favorite all-around bike. Riding ability is novice (not rank beginner, but a season away from lower intermediate). Not the 220, but the 200 is the bike making her excited to get the new-to-her used Kawi.

I'm not too familiar with the 200 history lineup, but I told her on the drive home they're "pretty much all the same for about 10 years."

Of course I expect that to be wrong.

Is there one or two years of KDX200 that stand out against the other years? A few 2002 and 2006 for sale locally, all around $1300-$1500. Haven't taken a look at condition though.

Nope. All the smae from 95 up, with the obvious exception of different seat covers, graphics, fork boots, etc. In 2003 they switched to a silver frame and black gas tank from the green, but mechanically speaking, 95 and up are identical, although I believe in 98 or so the clutch springs got stiffer, but THATS IT.

In other words, buy based on condition and mods. check out KDXRider.net for all your KDX needs!

semi hijack... I am looking at a 1990 and 1994,,, the 94 has the blue inverted forks, new piston bla bla bla... a little rough,,,full FMF exhaust. FMF Gnarly pipe and FMF Turbine Core 2 silencer. Acerbis bark busters, brand new Uni 2 stage air filter, newer front and rear tire, new wide foot pegs, new FMF silencer, new boyseen reeds, and renthal bars...new piston, rings, and cylinder to Langcourt Limited and had the cyliner replated. says he checked the compression on it before I rode it the last time and it was around 200,, by the looks of it the tires are half way,, suspecting chain and sprocket are half too.. not exactly the cleanest bike

The 90 has has a brand new piston and a rechromed cylinder, no headlight, new plastics and I had looked at it a while back and is very clean and dude seems very trustworthy..... chains tires sprockets are all good to go..

My first question more pertaining to the OP's is that I have read there are certain models with more street legability,,, e and h or sumpin and sr too?... I can never retain all the info I get in various places..... What do you know about these various types epecially if I want to get it plated,,,,

second is both these bikes are around $1,300... what is your take on that for comparison? I may be able to get them down 1 or 2 hundred.....

I will stop this hijack! just kidding but I will answer your questions. those two bikes are like perfect bike when combined, and also every bike on Craigslist has a new topend and replating, so honestly I would buy the one that looks less beat than the other. ALSO, before you judge how dirty the bike is, I bought a 2003 KX125 that was just covered in nastiness, goo and red Utah dirt, and with some scrubbing and toothbrushes it looks brand new, and all the important hard to replace things were in great shape, they just needed cleaned/greased. so heres a tip, on craigslist bikes, check the overall shape of things that normally need to be replaced at the bikes age.

Nope. All the smae from 95 up, with the obvious exception of different seat covers, graphics, fork boots, etc. In 2003 they switched to a silver frame and black gas tank from the green, but mechanically speaking, 95 and up are identical, although I believe in 98 or so the clutch springs got stiffer, but THATS IT.

absolutely correct, and yes, 98 model on up came with stiffer springs, but dont buy based on that.

absolutely correct, and yes, 98 model on up came with stiffer springs, but dont buy based on that.

I believe 96 was the first year for the stronger clutch springs....

As stated, 89-94 are all the same E series bikes, save the USD forks used in 93 and 94. H series 200's from 95 - 2006 are all the same, save the clutch spring change in 96, and cosmetic changes here and there.

I believe 96 was the first year for the stronger clutch springs....

As stated, 89-94 are all the same E series bikes, save the USD forks used in 93 and 94. H series 200's from 95 - 2006 are all the same, save the clutch spring change in 96, and cosmetic changes here and there.

could have swore it was 98, but i wont argue:ride:

I had a 95 with the "weaker" springs and never had a problem - it felt the same as my 97, and I'm a clutch abus'n dude.

my 93 is very nice to ride, and it has the blue inverted forks on it as well like someone else said earlier on, somaybe they were stock for those years because ive seen a few others with th same forks. but overall i think all the kdx's from like, 1990 on are great trail bikes once youve done a few simple mods. they also make alot of aftermarket parts for them for most years after 1990.

the 92-94 KDX250 had 43mm blue inverted forks as did the 90-92 KDX200 but they has 41mm and were solid mounted bars, not rubber mounted.

89-92 kdx200 had 41mm conventional forks. The only 200 to see USD forks from the factory were the 1993 and 1994 KDX200.

rockraven00, the price on those bikes is pretty high, a buddy of mine recently picked up a plated 05 for $1000, #8 condition. Shop around

Are the blue inverted USD forks used in 93 and 94 better or worse save the better clearance?

edit: for the 200?

Edited by rockraven00

Not much of a difference honestly. They are a little stiffer (ie; less flex) which is a plus but they have no rebound adjustment just like the conventionals. Also, the clearance is just a hair better on the '93-'94 USD's. I will say one thing for them...they sure are pretty!

the 92-94 KDX250 had 43mm blue inverted forks... ...and were solid mounted bars, not rubber mounted.

Just a little correction there. KDX250's from '91-'94 all had the USD's. I can't speak for all the years of them but the '94 also had rubber mounted bar clamps.

yes the 91-94 250 forks were all rubber mounted bars, its the reason I changed from the blue 41s to the 43s

The latest issue of Dirtbike Magazine has a nice right up on the KDX200. If you are a fan of the bike, it may be a nice bit of reading to pick up. Just throwing it out there.