Sign in to follow this  

so its the holiday season.

Ok this is an opinion on what to buy for my 2002 ktm 125 sx thread. I have quite a few things I "want" but I really want to get opinions on whats the best buy. I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Here is the list of things I think are "bad" on my bike

1. plastics
  2. seat is hard as rocks
  3. exhaust silencer is "broken.... " (it doesn't fit back together properly)
  4. shifter leaver is stripped out
  5. I kinda want to replace ALL the cosmetic bolts on the bike
  6. I think I need new swing arm bushing/bearins (my swing arm seems a little "loose" )

I'm not fast, I'm not "racing" but I do go to the track. I'm not really concerned with power or anything like that...but I do like keeping my bike in "tip top" shape.

I want to spend no more than $200 (USD) but could probably be pushed to $250. So if it was you what would you get?

Where are people buying things these days? Anyone out there getting used parts?

Whats other things worth getting? Anyone else got awesome stuff they wanna get this holiday season?

Agreed, disassemble, clean and check all the suspension bearings and replace as required. Replace the shifter before it wrecks the shaft and then see what you can do with the silencer.

I agree with Ron. Function over fashion. Nobody will see your new bolts and plastic if it's sitting in the garage broke down.

LOL

yep, those 3 things will pretty much eat up a $200 budget. If you have a little left, I would spend it on a comfy used EE seat or the likes.

swingarm bearing kit will run you $70-80+ depending.

used silencer $50-60

shift lever MSR ($20 or so)

used seat $50-60

I didn't know there were "cosmetic bolts" on my bike. hehe

pick up plastic pieces as you can afford it, need it.

Check your lower shock heim joint. They get sloppy. I would check those rear wheel bearings as well, when they go out they take the hub with them!

I would start with the swing arm bushing/bearings.

Then shift lever and get the exhaust system fixed.

I get most of my stuff here

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/home.do

Or here

http://www.motosport.com/

If i order on a mon I get it by thur here in Fla.

Good luck :bonk:

Good tip I haven't ever ordered parts from online. Used to work at a dealership but they don't carry KTM anything....

I agree with Ron. Function over fashion. Nobody will see your new bolts and plastic if it's sitting in the garage broke down.

That is very true. I haven't ever installed swing arm bushings so looks like I'll be doing my research on that one.

Agreed, disassemble, clean and check all the suspension bearings and replace as required. Replace the shifter before it wrecks the shaft and then see what you can do with the silencer.

Yeah the shifter was the first thing. My silencer is ruined too. Found a good shifter for under 25 bucks.

LOL

yep, those 3 things will pretty much eat up a $200 budget. If you have a little left, I would spend it on a comfy used EE seat or the likes.

swingarm bearing kit will run you $70-80+ depending.

used silencer $50-60

shift lever MSR ($20 or so)

used seat $50-60

I didn't know there were "cosmetic bolts" on my bike. hehe

pick up plastic pieces as you can afford it, need it.

I guess cosmetic bolts was poorly worded. I just have a lot of worn out bolts from the previous owner. Some of them are stripped and having stripped bolts has left me at the side of the track messing around for hours...As for the plastics I saw a cheap set on some website somewhere for a 100 bucks...kinda sounds "too good" to be true.

Check your lower shock heim joint. They get sloppy. I would check those rear wheel bearings as well, when they go out they take the hub with them!

Yeah if i drop the back end off the bike I'll be looking at all the connections/moving parts back there. The wheel bearings are good from what i saw. But then again i guess i don't really know what i am looking for when it comes to that kinda thing.

if there is no play in the wheel, then you are likely good. I just replaced seals and bearings in my rear wheel. $20 getting ready to do the same up front. Not replacing the spacers at this point.

If you have bolts that are stripped or rounded off, then of course. Some bolts that get a lot of use (such as the seat bolt), I replace with allen heads. If they aren't seen, I don't really care, and they don't get rounded.

I buy a lot of aftermarket parts for my bike from my local Yammy dealer. Moose makes quite a bit of parts.