Sign in to follow this  

Anyone fitted a steering damper to a bike that comes without?

Just wondered if anyone had fitted a steering damper to bikes that dont normally use one.

There are a few threads about steering dampers but thought it would be good to see a few ideas in the same place.

I'm looking to fit one on a KTM SXF but dont want to use the stock one on top of the bars as I like my bar position at the moment. Hopefully this thread can help anyone else with the same ideas

Any pictures would be great

You can get a mount that goes on TOP of the bars (its the top clamp on the riser) , so it does not raise your bars , my friend has a 2011 450SXF and that is what he did , he got the riser mount first and couldnt ride the bike it was too awkward , so he got the top mount and is fine , except that you have to cut a hole in the bar pad , and the stabilizer is where your pad should be , so you have to be careful you dont smack your face on it in a crash

img0182pli.jpg

img0183uf.jpg

I use the Scotts sub mount kit (under the bars), and then I run the lowest bend bars that Pro Taper sells, my bars are no higher than stock.

+1,running the Ricky C's with a Scott's sub mount,im 6'2" and fit is perfect!!:bonk:

I should have gone with the front fender mount on my bike. My current mount is on top of the bars, and even though its been a couple of years, I'm always afraid I'm going to smash my chest (or face) on that in a crash. I got talked out of the fender mount as the dealer said it was too hard to adjust on the fly, but I have found that I rarely feel the need to adjust my stabilizer, and never on the fly.

Aha, never seen a fender mount before. It rains alot hear tho and the bikes get ditched so not sure if I would get away with it. I'm after doing it a little cheaper. The fireblade steering damper would be ideal for the fender system. They go through on ebay very cheap. Was hoping to make something that hides behind the number board, all I can find small enough is mini moto steering dampers, some are adjustable but not sure if they would be up to the job. From what I can gather the Honda damper isn't that great. It only works in the last bit of the turning where you least need it.

I would not be worrying too much about price for something like this. Buy a brand of known quality (Scotts, GPR, Ohlins, WER) and the proper mount kit to put it where ever you want it. When you are ready to change bikes, take it off and get the mount kit for the next bike. The damper will last as many years as you ride, with only occasional service at a nominal cost.

Just wondered if anyone had fitted a steering damper to bikes that dont normally use one.

There are a few threads about steering dampers but thought it would be good to see a few ideas in the same place.

I'm looking to fit one on a KTM SXF but dont want to use the stock one on top of the bars as I like my bar position at the moment. Hopefully this thread can help anyone else with the same ideas

Any pictures would be great

There is no "stock" damper that comes on the SXF.

Maybe not available in your powerparts, in europe we get an sxs damper kit that fits to all sx and sxf big bikes. I've seen the bar mounted version but I think there is also a damper that fits behind the number board.