Holy horsepower, batman!

Just installed my WebCam 89a camshaft last night. I'm SO stoked! Uncorking was a nice boost, so was the wiseco piston, but WOW now adding the cam in made this bike a beast! Power is great everywhere, and better everywhere.

I made a short demonstration of the new power. It's uploaded to youtube and processing. It will be available to watch in a few hours. Stay tuned! Link below

http://youtu.be/rKwzQR_v1H8

You guys will want to just skip most of the video to the riding part. All the explanation crap was just for my subscribers.

As far as installation, it was straight-forward. I installed it without even loosening the engine. WebCam provides break-in lube and break-in instructions.

Edited by gabechroust

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much did you tweak the jetting after both the piston and cam installs?

With both I just had to tweak the fuel screw a bit. Neither made the jetting feel crappy; they both just made it run better in every way.

Hopefully I'll have a video of it on the trail or track next week. For now I've just been goofing around at home. The thing flies through the gears so fast that it's hard to keep up with the shifting! It pulls hard, even in 6th gear. It used to have a hard time accelerating fast in 4th gear or above. Lug it or scream it, the thing gets up and goes now.

I should say, in a sick way, I do enjoy your vids.

+1, when i first started watching your 17 minute vid, lol, i thought i was gonna turn it off, but i watched the whole thing. :bonk:

your 230 is not a looker, but it does seem to have nice power. ?

When i had my 230 with 132main, baffle and snorkel removed, uni air filter, and thats it, it would wheely really nice on first gear, and just a tad on 2nd, the 230 is a great bike.

Gabechroust,

I don't know where you are located, but you're somewhere in the bay area (my guess is Brentwood). Anyway, you seen to ride at a lot of local places. Look up Metcalf. I just thought you might like that place.

I believe the city it's in is Morgan Hill, just outside of San Jose off the 101. I think you'll like that place. It's sort of like a small Hollister. Nobody goes there, but it's a cool place. It falls under Santa Clara so for some reason, this state park isn't like the others. It's only $5 to ride and they don't have as many regulations to follow so they can bring in dirt for the MX track. That track can be really fun. I don't recall what days the are closed, but do a google search to find that.

Get your cam and take trip if that isn't too far. Personally, that MX track, when groomed, is the best natural MX track in the bay area . . . and nobody goes. I can't figure out why. $5 and fun.

For some here who haven't been following your upgrades, can you post again what all you have that goes w/ the new cam?

a) stock or different Carb? if different, PWK, like the one BBR sells?

:bonk: stock pipe or modded? if mod, which brand?

c) size piston, & compression ratio changes?

d) stock air filter setup or aftermarket pod?

e) stock ignition or mod?

Gabechroust,

I don't know where you are located, but you're somewhere in the bay area (my guess is Brentwood). Anyway, you seen to ride at a lot of local places. Look up Metcalf. I just thought you might like that place.

I believe the city it's in is Morgan Hill, just outside of San Jose off the 101. I think you'll like that place. It's sort of like a small Hollister. Nobody goes there, but it's a cool place. It falls under Santa Clara so for some reason, this state park isn't like the others. It's only $5 to ride and they don't have as many regulations to follow so they can bring in dirt for the MX track. That track can be really fun. I don't recall what days the are closed, but do a google search to find that.

Get your cam and take trip if that isn't too far. Personally, that MX track, when groomed, is the best natural MX track in the bay area . . . and nobody goes. I can't figure out why. $5 and fun.

metcalf is cool, can get boring though for trails.

the track is primo though, the rangers ride the track, so that may have something to do with it :bonk:

408mx is right up the freeway and is pretty cool too, check it out tone

Gabechroust,

I know, I've been dying to go there ever since you told me about it! I'm actually in the valley, but all of the closest places are bay area. The problem is that nobody I ride with ever wants to do anything except for Club Moto, Carnegie or Sand Hill. I'm trying hard to convince someone to go to Metcalf this weekend so I can tag along. Other problem is that 90% of the time I have to tag along with someone or I'd be pushing the bike the whole way :bonk:

For some here who haven't been following your upgrades, can you post again what all you have that goes w/ the new cam?

a) stock or different Carb? if different, PWK, like the one BBR sells?

? stock pipe or modded? if mod, which brand?

c) size piston, & compression ratio changes?

d) stock air filter setup or aftermarket pod?

e) stock ignition or mod?

a) stock

:banana: stock

c) stock bore, Wiseco 11:1 which is not actually 11:1, but somewhere under 10:1

d) Uni air filter in a stock box with the top cut off.

e) stock

So basically, what you've done is a cam change?

If that's the case, how can there be so much more power to be had w/out increasing intake volume and decreasing exhaust backpressure to accomodate the increased lift and duration? Not trying to start something, just wondering how just a cam change can deliver so much performance w/out a bigger carb and header?

So basically, what you've done is a cam change?

If that's the case, how can there be so much more power to be had w/out increasing intake volume and decreasing exhaust backpressure to accomodate the increased lift and duration? Not trying to start something, just wondering how just a cam change can deliver so much performance w/out a bigger carb and header?

Sure a bigger carb would likely add even more go, but it definitely isn't necessary to get a huge gain from engine mods.

Dwight Rudder said that when talking to engine builders about his 230 build, it was recommended that he stick with the stock header. Check out his thread. I'm fairly sure that, even on that beast, he ended up with a stock carb and stock header.

Based on your question, I think you'd have tons of fun reading this book if you haven't already. I sure did! There's nothing in there that isn't understandable. It's just a good read to boost knowledge.

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Stroke-Performance-Tuning-3rd-practical/dp/1844253147

&& SCORE! I've got someone to go to Metcalf with tomorrow! I believe I'll be going!

Just installed my WebCam 89a camshaft last night. I'm SO stoked! Uncorking was a nice boost, so was the wiseco piston, but WOW now adding the cam in made this bike a beast! Power is great everywhere, and better everywhere..

I also have the Wiseco piston and love it. Did you notice any loss of bottom end with the new cam? In most cases the area under the power curve is fairly fixed and all you can do is move it around with a cam.