Sign in to follow this  

04 450 Trans Capacity

I have a 04 450R and i have seen anywhere between 590cc and 900cc to be added to the trans side. Now i just resealed the whole transmission side due to replacement of the seals and bearings in the water pump. can anyone tell me what the best mixture is for not taking out the kickstart/ idler gears

Thanks in advance,

Brad

650-700cc in mine as well! 100hrs and no problems,

I remove the larger view hole plug, sit bike level and fill it to the bottom of this window or maybe a bit more (lean it over a bit). The hondas like a bit more oil in there or you will start to hear the bearings start to squeek! If you fill it to the small hole thats not enough and your bearings are likely to fail sooner due to overheating. I had that happen already..

I remove the larger view hole plug, sit bike level and fill it to the bottom of this window or maybe a bit more (lean it over a bit). The hondas like a bit more oil in there or you will start to hear the bearings start to squeek! If you fill it to the small hole thats not enough and your bearings are likely to fail sooner due to overheating. I had that happen already..

To use that smaller hole there's a procedure thats not worth the time or effort.

650-700cc is what Ive been running for 120+ hours on my 03

The squealing you hear is the kicker idler gear running dry. There's a lubrication method there that requires the clutch basket to run the bottom side in the oil. The drive gear picks the oil up and throws it at a trough above to oil the transmission. The other throw off is what oils the kicker idlers and such. If there isnt enough oil in the well of the clutch basin, the gear cant catch it and throw it around. But too much can interfere with it too.