Sign in to follow this  

2005 rm 250 valving fell off

Since my motor blew, I figured I'd change the suspension fluid while Im waiting for the cylinder to come back from the platers/machine shop. In the right leg everthing looked brand new. no wear on the bushings etc. The left leg was a another story. I went to pump out the left cartrige oil and I heard clunk clunck and saw chunks fly out with the oil. The valving had fallen off and been beating around inside the cartrige. The rod and inside of the cartrige are scratched. scratched. most of the valve shims are decimated into peices. the rod however was fully bleed and extending. Im probley gonna sand the scratches down and run it sans valving untill I can afford/find used Showa A kit or similar. Unless its too dangerouse? Im starting to recollect the reason why I bought my last bike brand new. :bonk:

The compression valving is still intact and in good shape its the rebound valving thats toast.

The shims aren't a concern as you could replace those for under $30. It's the scratched rod and cartridge that's the problem.

is the 05' rm 250 running the same forks as the 05' rmz450? if so I have some inner cartridges for you.

• Like 1

450:

250:

7 - 23.1

14.1 s

3 - 10.3 b

Pretty different stacks, also other faceshims size. Are you sure the Cartridge will fit?

450:

250:

7 - 23.1

14.1 s

3 - 10.3 b

Pretty different stacks, also other faceshims size. Are you sure the Cartridge will fit?

Racetech is showing 34mm valve on the base and 23mm valve on the mid for the 05 rm250 and 05 rmz450. Considering that, it makes me feel the 250 stack you listed is incorrect as it would have 20mm shims.

Racetech is showing 34mm valve on the base and 23mm valve on the mid for the 05 rm250 and 05 rmz450. Considering that, it makes me feel the 250 stack you listed is incorrect as it would have 20mm shims.

Yes, I was also thinking of this!

I searched for this stack on valving logic.

as far as I know the rm and rmz has std size showa shims

the 2005 rmz450 fork inner cartridges I sent him were normal modern day twin cartridges. not open bath ones either.

I hate reading these threads. Now I have to go and tear mine apart and make sure nothing is wrong in there....:bonk: Never hear of this happening before. Major bummer:banghead: