Sign in to follow this  

Need help with brakes please

Hi everyone

My question is, Is it normal for the rear disc brake caliper rattle as the pads wear down I only noticed it recently?????

IT IS A XR600 96 MODEL

hey I have a drum brake 88xr600 but on all the other disc brake bikes I have had I have not noticed this.

Check you pins in the caliper...they have a sunk allen head, there is a cap on the lower one I believe...

Tighten them up.

If this doesnt help I would start by replacing these pins, they sell them as pairs on most aftermarket sites or ebay..

use some brake grease and lube them up.

Slack may also be from the actual caliper mounting bolts being loose, they should be pretty well torqued.

Also this goes for any disc brake bike, not onlu a 96xr600! jajaja

cheers

EDIT: the pins I speak of are the ones that hold both halves of the caliper together and where they slide in and out when you press the brake lever. They sometimes get grooved or badly worj from not being serviced or lubed up. Also check the service limit for your pads, if they are too worn it means you have much more movement in the caliper than normal.

^^^^^^^^^^This is good info.

If that doesn't seem to be the problem, check to see if your rear rotor is warped. If the rotor is warped, the high spots will push the pistons back into the caliper a tad, thus allowing play between the rotor and the pads. That may be where the rattling is coming from. This condition usually requires the brake lever to be depressed further than normal while braking, and will also cause the lever to pulse.

yeah x2!

More than likely if you ride rocky areas a bunch you might of hit the rotor, once the rotor is bent or dimpled its impossible to not get the pulsating feeling on the lever, not to mention you work the pads down and quick...

check the rotor for warpness...

replace if bad

On that note I replaced my front rotor with a nice TUSK wave rotor, cant remember the exact name of the model but it wasn't a retarded $$$$$$$$120ebc amount, it was about $45. pretty damn economic, plus it looks better than stock

cheers

I will second the TUSK. It wasn't the wave, but i put a plain Jane one on the front. I like it a lot and can say the wear has been very good. Not sure makes it for TUSK, but would guess it is one of the bigger names. Either way, solid product for the price.

If the rotor is warped, it will make the brake lever pulse as you apply the brake while riding.

The little spring tension pad clips may not have enough bend in them to apply tension to keep the pads from vibrating.

hi

Thanks for your ideas I have been away form internet

the pins that hold on the caliper are very tight and would not tighten any more.The rotor is not warped because they work fine it is just that when you are riding with the brake not engaged the brake caliper rattles when you get off the bike you can move the caliper form side to side

You hear rattle when riding? My muffler covers sound & site? I cant hear or tell if mine are on either bike. How do you know it is the brakes?

the caliper SHOULD move from side to side, if not it would seize onto the rotor.

How did you check the rotor for warpness? try taking the caliper off and with a dial or screwdriver rest it on the rotor and spin the wheel...if you feel more than a smidge of movemente your rotor is warped.

The caliper needs movement as it "floats" on the rotor.

When you pull the lever both halves pull onto the rotor, the side with the pistons do the most action.

Maybe ride with the caliper off, and see if you hear rattles...

it might be something else like skidplate bolts are loose, swingarm loose, axle bolts, check for loose muffler etc...

many things can cause a rattle on a bike.

good luck!

did you check the pins for wear? take them out lube them and see if they are gouged where the holes of the pads rest on them...

Hi everyone

My question is, Is it normal for the rear disc brake caliper rattle as the pads wear down I only noticed it recently?????

IT IS A XR600 96 MODEL

There is brake pad spring that is there to stop them from rattling. Its #4 in the parts diag. Part# 43108-MY6-671 , $3.90 .

http://www.mositesmotorsports.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=191364&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1996&fveh=4318

There is brake pad spring that is there to stop them from rattling.

Thank you zx12r I pulled out the brake spring and bent it a little and problem sloved:banana:

well cool...a thread that has a RESOLVED finish to it...

so many threads that are left unfinished with everybody hanging not knowing if there was a fix or not..

good stuff and congrats in the fix!

cheers