Sign in to follow this  

Confused adding lighting 2002 XR200

Hi. I'm trying to add a headlight and taillight to my '02 XR200. After reading a lot of post about it, I'm confused about grounding the alternator. On my bike, coming out of the alternator, there's a pink wire and a yellow wire, and they are connected together by a jumper wire in the wiring loom. I understand that I'm suppose to remove the jumper wire and connect the light to the pink wire. What do I do about the yellow wire?

(1) Do I ground the light to the yellow wire? Or

(2) Do I ground the light to the frame and connect the yellow wire to the frame?

(2) Do I ground the light to the frame and connect the yellow wire to the frame?

Yes, alternator needs to be grounded

Get a regulator and have the pink split taking one to the light and one to the regulator. Ground the other wires from the light and regulator. Ground the yellow. That should do it I think. If you leave out the regulator, you'll burn out the lights after about half throttle.

.......... If you leave out the regulator, you'll burn out the lights after about half throttle.

+1:banghead:

AC regulators are available from TrailTech, Baja Designs, TT Store, etc.

About $15

The alternator lighting section does not need to be grounded, but grounding the yellow wire will save running a common wire from the lights back to the yellow wire. Some run floating "ground" on AC lighting, just uses a bit more wire but does keep the lighting system isolated from the ignition system. Older XR200 alternators have both the ignition and lighting sections internally grounded.

I found this on another post. Someone drew a wiring diagram. Is this the proper way to wire it for AC lights?

jpg

Edited by Terminatr

I would recommend placing the regulator directly across the the pink and yellow alternator wires, that will regulate the alternator output. Similar to the shunt connectors in the wiring loom.

Then connect up the lights however you want.

That's it.

Here are two Honda wiring diagrams that show the wire colors Honda uses for the electrical systems. The first is 84-85 XR200R, harness and color codes similar to the XR200R thru 88 except for the location of the CDI Pulse Generator. The second is 99 XR250R, again harness and color codes similar to the 90-02 XR200R except for the location of the CDI Pulse Generator. It shows a grounded lighting system but the Honda regulator is a four wire device that isolates the alternator, an expensive solution.

84_XR200R_XR250R_Wiring_Diagram.gif

99_XR250R_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Does the AC regulator need to be rubber mounted for vibration? Or can it be directly mounted onto the frame?

Depends. The Honda unit has a rubber mount, one two wire $13 regulator has a hole in the center for mounting, another two metals tabs. I have used two different aftermarket regulators and just bolted them to the frame. If you use OEM, depending on bike year, it is usually easiest to use the OEM rubber mount if the frame has a mounting tab (it looks like the coil mount but hangs from the backbone tube near the CDI box).

Another question I have. I bought an LED tail light, and then I read somewhere that LED lights don't work with AC circuits. Is that true?

I put a BD LED tail light on a a XR running AC because it was posted on TT as working with AC, no problems. Don't know if the unit had a full wave rectifier or was running half cycle but it worked fine. But I don't know about other brands.

I forgot to ask what gauge wire should be using?

Will I damage the LED tail light if it is not compatible with AC? I might have to return it and don't want to damage it.

Do you have a foto of the BD light on your XR? Just curious what it looks like.

Edited by Terminatr

I installed a UFO DOT tail light just like the one below. I mounted mine a wee further back. This unit fits the XR200 like a glove. But unfortunately it's discontinued. Had to buy it on Amazon, and I bought the last one. I also installed a Polisport DOT head lamp. The bike looks wierd now. I'm still trying to figure out how to install the mechanical brake switch on the brake pedal. There's almost no room to mount the switch. THe exhaust pipe is near where the switch is suppose to be mounted. And I have to worry about the swing arm hitting the switch during full compression.

inst05b.jpg

Edited by Terminatr

Would love to know how you ended up mounting the switch. I know it's an old thread, hope you're still around.

I installed a UFO DOT tail light just like the one below. I mounted mine a wee further back. This unit fits the XR200 like a glove. But unfortunately it's discontinued. Had to buy it on Amazon, and I bought the last one. I also installed a Polisport DOT head lamp. The bike looks wierd now. I'm still trying to figure out how to install the mechanical brake switch on the brake pedal. There's almost no room to mount the switch. THe exhaust pipe is near where the switch is suppose to be mounted. And I have to worry about the swing arm hitting the switch during full compression.

inst05b.jpg