Clutch Basket

I have an 08 YZ450. About 140 hrs. Winter refresh time:banana:

I inspected the clutch tonight. I've never had it apart before. The friction discs are all within spec, .118 in. And, the plates don't show any warping. But, the basket and inner hub are grooved pretty well.

I'm wondering if this is common, the wear items in the clutch being fine, but the expensive hub and basket grooving. I race desert as a novice and DO abuse the clutch quite a bit in rough sections (damn waterfalls). I think the basket should stand up to the task as the rest of the unit. I even locked the chain up in mud last spring and got the clutch hot, but the discs are fine.

I'm thinking I'll sand down the grooves and run it. Then, get a more robust setup after the spring. Maybe Rekluse, since I can't seem to work the clutch properly:banghead:

OK thanks. More clearance would probably accelerate the grooving. I didn't realize Rekluze didn't include a basket. And I'm still not completely sold on auto clutches. I've never really noticed any performance issues with the clutch, but the basket/hub grooving has me worried. I know it's gonna wear some, but not exactly how much is acceptable.

OK thanks. More clearance would probably accelerate the grooving. I didn't realize Rekluze didn't include a basket. And I'm still not completely sold on auto clutches. I've never really noticed any performance issues with the clutch, but the basket/hub grooving has me worried. I know it's gonna wear some, but not exactly how much is acceptable.

That type of terrain is where the Rekluse shines. I suggest the Pro version and Redline oil. We have an 09 with the Pro and have used Redline and it's still on the original clutch. Hell the bike just got new front wheel bearings. That's the first thing that has been fixed or changed out other than engine oil and air filter cleanings.

I put one of these in all my bikes:

BARNETT_BILLETCLUTCHBASKET.jpg

If you choose to order one we can get it for you:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TR_343026

You can see the steel "fingers" that pretty much eliminates notching. You should replace your center hub as well if you dont go Rekluse. But as already stated the Pro version would be awesome in your setup. I absolutely LOVE mine!

Rekluse uses a proprietary design center hub which also eliminates notching. So you would end up with a bullet proof setup that will last you many many years.

I would also recommend replacing the frictions and steels periodically even if they "appear" to be in good shape. I used to only replace them when they looked burnt or warped. Consequently I ran the stock 06 YZ450 clutch for YEARS as the disks looked fine. One day a few of the frictions FRAGGED and trashed up a bunch of stuff. The problem is you cant really see the fatigue that the aluminum has until its too late and you are in my boat!

I have used them for years without issue and Barnett stands behind them no questions asked. They even gave me a new one when my disks fragged even though the damage to the basket was caused by the frictions, and no fault of the basket!

You cant ask for better customer service than that!

The ultimate in customer service is a company called Dillon Precision in Arizona. Unfortunately, they don't make motorcycle stuff, they make ammunition reloading equipment. They call their warranty "No BS", and claim that if anything ever fails for any reason, they'll replace it. I haven't seen anyone deliberately destroy their stuff and ask them to warranty it, but it's been close.

One guy broke off a part while sweeping his floor, so he ordered a new one. They sent it free and returned his payment.

One bonehead burned his reloading room to the ground by smoking while working with gunpowder, and they replaced his equipment, free.

The best one, IMO, was a guy who ordered an add-on to a press model that he had bought used, and that Dillon had discontinued. They sent him a complete new press of the superseding model, including adapter kits for every caliber he had for the old one, about $800 worth of merchandise because they couldn't fill his order for a $30 part.

Their customer loyalty is naturally pretty damn good.

The ultimate in customer service is a company called Dillon Precision in Arizona. Unfortunately, they don't make motorcycle stuff, they make ammunition reloading equipment. They call their warranty "No BS", and claim that if anything ever fails for any reason, they'll replace it.-

-Their customer loyalty is naturally pretty damn good.

Agreed 100%!!! I have an XL650 Dillon press. It's been virtually "bullet-proof" as it is, but when I've needed a part (I lost it my very own self :busted: ), the Dillon people refused to take any money for it. ? I hope & pray nobody ever misuses their customer service "No BS!" policy. It's one I'd like to see the motorcycle industry adopt, but I do understand why small businesses can't. Jeff Douglas at Nuetech (TUbliss inventor/marketer/CEO & etc.) comes very close; his customer service is GREAT! :bonk:

Sorry to stray off topic...... :banana:

Jimmie

WoW! That is impressive. There must be some good margins to be able to afford having that kind of service tho! :bonk:
One of the things that makes it work for them is that they make a very high quality product that they don't really ever have to warranty due to its own failures very often. Besides, service like that generates more in sales than it costs them, a concept some people never understand.

I went ahead and ordered some plates as I was going to do so anyway 'cause they're 4 years old and cheap enough. Plus, after Justin's post, I don't want to risk them coming apart.

As far as the basket(s) I think it will get me through the spring. I don't have binding issues, so far. The groves are most noticeable on the forward side of the basket. With a film of oil I can barely feel them and it looks much better than some of the pics I've seen. The courses are also less technical in the spring and the clutch won't get abused too much (I hope:lol:) And, I should probably down-shift more often.

Money's getting tight this time of year also. I think I'll go for a Hinson or GYTR sometime this spring. I'd like to know what anyone thinks of this Ebay used basket. http://www.ebay.com/itm/180774734173?item=180774734173&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr Some definite issues there. But I'd have to change the gears out. What happend to the retaining plate? He says the threads are good where the screw "backed out". Misaligned install?

Hinson makes a steel clutch basket. Probably as indestructable as you will find. Also adds a HUGE rotating inertia as well. If you want A LOT of added flywheel effect, the Hinson steel basket would be the ticket.

Fixed it for ya! ?

That basket is built like a Russian Tank, but weighs the same as one! If you are a hard core tight woods/single track guy I would recommend it. But it is a SUBSTANTIAL increase in flywheel weight, so just a heads up. :bonk:

Fixed it for ya! ?

That basket is built like a Russian Tank, but weighs the same as one! If you are a hard core tight woods/single track guy I would recommend it. But it is a SUBSTANTIAL increase in flywheel weight, so just a heads up. :bonk:

I also have a GYTR fww and 50T rear sprocket. It's enough of a tractor already.

Clutch weight has remarkably little effect on crankshaft rotating inertia for the simple reason that the clutch rotates at a 3rd (roughly) the speed of the engine and can only apply that inertia back to the crank through the 2.5/3:1 mechanical disadvantage of the primary drive gears. It's really not that significant.