Aftermarket exhaust for XR600R

Does anyone know anything about the XR's Only exhaust for an XR600R? I was wanting some opinions on what people think of it, I was also considering the SuperTrapp IDS2 exhaust also. I don't really like the sound of the FMF, Big Gun exhausts quality did not seem to be up to par. Any opinions out there? My header has been welded several times, would like to replace the header and exhaust for a better sound, improved performance is not a big deal, my XR has more power than I will ever need, my old ride of 27 years was a 1981 XT250 Yamaha which went from new to vintage on me, same weight as the XR600R but the XR has gobs of power compared to the XT.

i have the supertrap on mine and it works pretty well. It can get warm though.

The XRs Only pipe is pretty loud. When I got mine, I also ordered the optional baffle, and I'm glad I did. Even with the baffle in, it was still pretty loud, but it brought it down to an acceptable level.

The quality of the pipe was great. No problems there. The red annodized tip will fade to pink, so I'd recommend the uncolored tip.

• Like 1

I use a stainless XL600R header since it has larger primary tubes. It will bolt on, but you need to remove the stop ring on it. This will allow the muffler to slide on far enough for a perfect fit. It gain some power everywhere and mine have been priced right. :bonk:

The stock XR600R/650L primarys are the same size on my XR250R. :busted:

I have a old school Supertrap on it right now but will be switching to a modded XR650R muffler to quiet it down more. :banana:

:smirk:

I use a stainless XL600R header since it has larger primary tubes. It will bolt on, but you need to remove the stop ring on it. This will allow the muffler to slide on far enough for a perfect fit. It gain some power everywhere and mine have been priced right. :bonk:

The stock XR600R/650L primarys are the same size on my XR250R. :busted:

I have a old school Supertrap on it right now but will be switching to a modded XR650R muffler to quiet it down more. :banana:

:smirk:

My White Bros SS header is larger diameter all the way thru i.e. no stop ring. Didn't realize they made 'em any other way. It is the same OD as the stock muffler ID with the packing removed. Clamps straight to the XRs Only , WB or Supertrapp S bend pipes.

Here is a question. I was reading something online about 100 dual sporting tips. The gentleman who wrote it recommended a nice and quiet muffler. Reason being is that noise is killing our sport in the publics eyes. Keep it quiet and keep them happy.:bonk:

I know the stock exhaust is pretty quiet, but I saws off the diffuser and she is a little louder. Not bad but definitely louder. Oh, and the stock can just looks like mooky stink.:smirk:

So, who has a good looking quiet aftermarket silencer? I am sure there are better ones than others.

Purchased Supertrapp Tunable Aluminum slip on, not the IDS2 unit with the FMF Powerbomb Exhaust Head Pipe, I hope it will match up without much effort. Bought it from Trax Motorsports, the sales person was very familar with my XR and Supertrapp/FMF. Just glad we don't have sound police issues like California here in the heartland.

I have used pro circuit, supertrapp ids2 quiet & 4" race, fmf q2 and q4. I have been most impressed with the fmf q4. It produces great power and still has a good tone. FMF doesn't have the best fitting. But I custom refit their exhaust for perfection.

Keep it quiet, let the complainers about dirt bikers look for something else.

Supertrapp slip on with the FMF Powerbomb Exhaust Head Pipe matched up well, seat of the pants feeling is that it feels much stronger, rode with a buddy with a Kawa KLR 650 yesterday, we both agree that my XR600R still is much faster when going thru the gears.

I sure hopeso! you got around 10hp more rear wheel hp than a klr not to mention about 100lbs less!

The only thing my 08klr was better at was in a long highway straight, cruising...it also had more topend barely, I say because of gearing...I could barely do over a ton on my klr, tucked in...

on my xr with 14-45 gearing I top out around 95mph...

On the exhaust note, I have a powercore 4 with a stock header off a 91up xr600 with ground headers.

I dont know but some people say 88-90 have different airboxes and they have different jetting specs on the carb, some also say they have a slightly different head to pair better with the twin header system.

In any case I probably could use a dyno to get my bike perfect but I have stock jetting at 62-152 and I feel it fine.

I like the sound of the powercore 4 too, WITH the spark arrestor!

cheers

The stock XR600R/650L primarys are the same size on my XR250R. :lol:

I have a old school Supertrap on it right now but will be switching to a modded XR650R muffler to quiet it down more. :smirk:

:lol:

This is exactly what I did on my XRL(XL600R header), removing the stop ring and all. To remove stop ring, cut a slit down to almost the pipe, then take a screw driver and twist the slice, ring snaps and comes off. Mine was listed on ebay as a xr600r header, but in fact was the xl600r with the larger header tubes. one way I think you can tell, the xl600r header pipes are reversed, right exhaust port goes in on top of the header collector, left on the bottom. Heres one on ebay, buy it now, for $45.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-XL600R-exhaust-header-pipes-/150731303420?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item23184929fc

what did you gain performance wise?

like say on a stock bike? with a slip on and filter for mods?

anything?

Id love a little more topend...

cheers

what did you gain performance wise?

like say on a stock bike? with a slip on and filter for mods?

anything?

Id love a little more topend...

cheers

The xl600r header did add a little top end and no noticeable loss of low end. The FCR carb was the best mod, it did give my xrl a top end hit it didn't have with the cv carb. Headers really only add major HP gain with a cam, piston and engine mods, which I plan on doing at some point.

The xl600r header did add a little top end and no noticeable loss of low end. The FCR carb was the best mod, it did give my xrl a top end hit it didn't have with the cv carb. Headers really only add major HP gain with a cam, piston and engine mods, which I plan on doing at some point.

The bang for the buck can be very cheap with the XL header. The most I have paid was $20.00. My last ones came with some spare parts that were with a $200.00 XL600R I bought.:smirk:

nice..well maybe someday Ill add a cam and hicomp piston...

for now Im into suspension mods!

have a revalved xrl shock waiting to go on, and I want to do the same to the front...

I feel suspension is where we need the most help if we push our bikes but Im really into budget mods for sure!

thanks guys

nice..well maybe someday Ill add a cam and hicomp piston...

for now Im into suspension mods!

have a revalved xrl shock waiting to go on, and I want to do the same to the front...

I feel suspension is where we need the most help if we push our bikes but Im really into budget mods for sure!

thanks guys

I have a 88 xr600r so I hear you I got all most a xr650r front end to replace the fork,breaks and wheel.

the back needs a 91 shock I think. 88 shock sucks:banghead:

I have the old super trap if I had to buy one the ids2(power) and fmf q4 (quite) are the ones I like.

yup! there is a thread here where I guy plopped an xrl shock in a 89 xr600! He didnt revalve so it wasnt that much of an improvement. I like that its a bigger shock and has/will have better damping and valvling than the current shock I have.

You can definetely put any piggyback shock from a 91 and up xr600...it took me a while to investigate but there are plenty of folks who have done this...

Next step forks! at least springs.

cheers

sorry for the hijack op!

Hi guys, i want to change the exhaust on my xr 600 r, i fancy a pro cicuit end can but also need new headers. Does anyone know if the fmf powerbomb headers work with the t4 end can? Or should i just go for a full fmf?? Cheers