How to check ignition components

First, I would like to say hello, and I am glad I found this forum.

I currently own a stock 83 GS1100E and a fully modded 83 GPz750 (now an 810). I do all my own work on my bikes so I am extremely familiar with checking the full charging systems. My GS has a Dyna-S I installed last year and the GPz still has the stock electronic ignition (not a CDI).

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2003 DRZ-400S for a really good price. It has all the performance mods listed on 4strokes.com.

The owner claims it runs great for about 10 minutes then dies, and won't start until it cools down. I have not been to see it yet but it sounds like something in the ignition system is overheating and causing a failure until it cools back down. I know how to check for spark, pretty obvious, but the ignition system on the DRZ appears totally different to what I am used to troubleshooting. I have looked at the FAQ and could see nothing applicable. I also queried on DRZ-400 CDI and did not see anything there either.

Is there somewhere this is explained? I admit that I since I am new to the site I may not have looked at the correct place.

Aslo, if the failed part is the CDI, is there a place where I can search for used parts? eBay was useless for this, unfortunately. The new CDI part, at ~$400, would make the bike much less desirable despite all the mods. I have read where it may be the CPS, but I was unable to find it on the parts fiche.

Also, if it is the coil, can I use a standard 3 Ohm coil? I have several left over from when I installed Dyna and Accel coils on my street bikes.

From looking at the parts fiche, I would expect the CDI to tell the coil when to fire, but I don't see the connection on the coil, just one which I would expect to be the 12V (nominal) battery voltage.

Thanks in advance.

I found this thread: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758665&page=2&highlight=cps

Which states that the CPS is part of the stator assembly, but then it also says"the crank position sensor AKA trigger coil is the one mounted outside the flywheel."

Where is the flywheel? I was not aware there was one. Is that what they are calling the rotor? I see the connector for the stator, which should contain the 3 stator output wires. Is the sensor part of that?

Thanks in advance.

I found this thread: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758665&page=2&highlight=cps

Which states that the CPS is part of the stator assembly, but then it also says"the crank position sensor AKA trigger coil is the one mounted outside the flywheel."

Where is the flywheel? I was not aware there was one. Is that what they are calling the rotor? I see the connector for the stator, which should contain the 3 stator output wires. Is the sensor part of that?

Thanks in advance.

Yes rotor= Flywheel

attachment.php?attachmentid=13217&d=1269702243

The red circle is showing where the wires should be routed (under that metal tab).. But where you see the circle, that is where the flywheel (rotor) would be positioned.. so you can see, yes the CPS is outside the flywheel, the stator inside.. one coil post in the stator is the ignition, the rest for charging.

Excellent, thanks for the pic. I found a Rick's stator on eBay. Are they considered a good unit for a DRZ? Or is there something different? Another forum I belong to likes them, not sure about here.

How would I test the CPS output? If there is a tutorial or FAQ, please supply a link and I'll study it.

Thanks for the link. I know how to tell if there is fuel in the oil, that's not a problem. I just need to know how to test the sensor. The CPS takes the place of the signal generator on my street bikes, so I understand its function, just not how to test it.

Interesting emoticons, btw. ?:bonk:

Thanks for the link. I know how to tell if there is fuel in the oil, that's not a problem. I just need to know how to test the sensor. The CPS takes the place of the signal generator on my street bikes, so I understand its function, just not how to test it.

Interesting emoticons, btw. ?:bonk:

Let me hang the Ignition DIAG procedures someplace and I'll PM you a link..

No doubt E Marquez has got you fixed up but here are a few things in case it is not already covered.

I would not entirely discount the possibility of gasoline contaminated oil. The symptoms you describe point to gas in the oil. You can test by disconnecting the crankcase vent hose from the air boot.

CDI failure is very rare with the stock CDI box. No verifiable failure posted here in 10 years. Aftermarket CDI's are prone to failure.

Stock ignition coil failure is very rare. No verifiable failure posted here in 10 years. Primary coil resistance is 0.1 to 1.0 ohm. Yes, you could probably cobble up an old dual lead 3 ohm GS coil to work for a test.

Ignition failures almost always boil down to a problem in the stator. Good replacements are about $120. There are 2 coils in the stator that feed information to the CDI. The pick up coil on the outside of the flywheel and one of the inner stator coils. You can test for short, open, resistance and peak voltage. A failure is a bad part pass does not always mean it is good. As you point out, electrical parts are often heat sensitive.

Oh yea. With a CDI system there is no 12 volt feed to the coil. The coil does not "charge" then fire on collapse of the field. The coil fires on "rise". The CDI sends a voltage of 200 to 400 volts from a charged capacitor to the coil. That voltage hits the coil and creates the rapid change in flux creating the spark. One of the features of a CDI system is the rapid rise time which does not allow the energy to bleed off before a spark can occur.

Thanks a bunch guys. If I can isolate it to the stator then I will own it. It has all the farkles, especially the larger tank, which was my biggest concern when I was starting to look for one. I will be riding with some KLR 650s, and I did not want to be the one that always has to stop for fuel long before anyone else.?

I'll let y'all know how it goes, one way or the other.

Again, many thanks. I think I am well armed now, just gotta make the call.:bonk: