Sign in to follow this  

gearing advice from those that have been there

I have been doing some searches here about gearing and still had questions about it. I put a JD kit, 3x3 and MRD on my 09 SM and it feels like it runs great on the freeway now. To get to the more fun roads I take it on the freeway sometimes but the vast majority of the time its on local roads with some off roading. I'm no wheelie master but if feels like I have to flog the thing to get a good clutch up in 2nd. Would it be worth changing my gearing to get a little more pull on the low end or would it completely ruin my freeway speeds? I'm trying to decide if its just the rider or I could gain anything by switching the gearing.

I have the same setup as you but I am pretty much opposite of your situation. I do a lot of on road riding and want a little more legs on the highway. Right now I run the stock gearing set up but it has 8,600 miles on it and I reached the end of my adjustments yesterday. It's time for a new chain and sprockets so I want to change gearing. I usually cruise comfortably around 58-60 or so but I am going to drop to a 39 tooth rear so I can cruise a little higher. For you, you may want to go to a 14 tooth front so you wont need a new chain. You will lose top end speed but should have no problem getting it up in 2nd. Then again, some people on here can clutch up 3rd with a stock bike so it may also be the rider...

You can run a 43t, and still use your stock length chain. It will still be good at 70mph on the furway. :bonk:

With a 43t @ 70, doesn't that wind it out pretty high? I don't even like to cruise at 65 with the stock set up. It seems to buzzy to go any length of time at that rpm and I feel bad for the bike.

With a 43t @ 70, doesn't that wind it out pretty high?

Nope!

I don't even like to cruise at 65 with the stock set up. It seems to buzzy to go any length of time at that rpm and I feel bad for the bike.

Sounds like you need to push your bike a little more. Don't be afraid, it won't blow up. :bonk:

I've tried 15/38, 16/38, 15/39 and I will say stock 15/41 is best :bonk:

With a 43t @ 70, doesn't that wind it out pretty high? I don't even like to cruise at 65 with the stock set up. It seems to buzzy to go any length of time at that rpm and I feel bad for the bike.

I got over 50,000 miles out of mine and I run it hard and do 70 mph down the freeway hell and even faster :smirk: Just change your oil every 1000 miles :banana:

These motors do not like to be lugged :busted:

I've tried 15/38, 16/38, 15/39 and I will say stock 15/41 is best
:bonk:

Didn't I tell you that a long time ago, Gramma?!:bonk:

I got over 50,000 miles out of mine and I run it hard and do 70 mph down the freeway hell and even faster :smirk: Just change your oil every 1000 miles :banana:

These motors do not like to be lugged :awww:

Remember, he's concerned about winding out his bike with 15/43 gearing.:busted:

39mm FCR MX :bonk:

Disappointed will never cross your mind. :awww:

Screw the gearing.

Install the SSW 50hp package to solve your problem.....

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1017328&page=13

lol :banana:

That would probably be ideal, but for gearing options I've tried a bunch also. I ended up at 14-41. I may hit the freeway up once in a while and the z holds its own alright. If youre after more low end torque, it will just be a compromise on the freeway.:smirk: But at 14-41 with the mods i have (signature) itll still wheelie in 4th around 48-50 ish. But what Craigo and bin said are always good options!!:busted:

Yeah ..with that extra power you can run your taller highway gearing and still have your play factor in the lower gears.....

the more Torque and HP your engine produces enables you too have more flexibility with your gearing...:bonk: