Sign in to follow this  

help!!! ttr 125 valves

Am I missing something, I followed the manual to checking the valves on my wifes ttr125, got the marks lined up on the fly wheel. Both valves appear to have a 1/4 inch between the bottom of rocker arm and the top of the spring. This is WAY off of the recommended .08mm to .12mm range for the valves. I may just take it to the shop, any suggestions or am i doing something wrong? thanks

Nevermind guys, I got it, I was measuring in the wrong spot. they were still in the reccomended range but i adjusted them a bit.

Yes, sounds like you are doing something wrong... There should not be 1/4".

From the way you wrote it, sounds like you are measuring from the spring to the rocker arm?? All you are supposed to be measuring is the small gap between the end of the valve and the adjuster, this is done with a feeler guage and the gap is small.. I tried to find a good image on google, but no luck.

If you open up the parts diagram from the Thumpertalk store for VALVE, it is the gap between 1 and 9 or 2 and 9 on the list that you should be measuring and only at TDC with the marks aligned as described in the manual.

Nevermind guys, I got it, I was measuring in the wrong spot. they were still in the reccomended range but i adjusted them a bit.

Glad to hear, sorry, didn't see your response until I posted mine..

Thansk Akamatsu. I lined up the marks on the flywheel and made sure the motor was at TDC by rotating until the exhasut valve was closeing and the piston was allthe way up and then I could wiggle the valve stud a little bit. This is how I was informed to make sure it was at TDC, is this correct?

I haven't yet purchased a service manual for my ttr yet, and I'm planning on adjusting my valves soon and was wondering what the specs were for the intake and exhaust valves. also does the procedure recommend that the bike be completely cold when doing the valve adjustment. thanks in advance guys.

Valve clearance (cold)

IN 0.08 ~ 0.12 mm

(0.0031 ~ 0.0047 in)

----

EX 0.10 ~ 0.14 mm

(0.0039 ~ 0.0055 in)

So yes, when engine is cold, or "Cool to the touch".

As far as TDC, yes, sounds like you are at the correct spot, make sure the marks line up on the flywheel as indicated and you should be good.