Sign in to follow this  

1986 YZ250 shock question

im just about to the point i feel good to take the bike out to the desert. I have been looking at doing some suspension work, and noticed my 86 should have some sort of cable that goes from the rear shock to the brake? what is this and what does it do? what am i missing out on with not having it? I just have a bolt facing down with a hole in the center, so im assuming thats where it goes. I have not taken the shock out, but it looks clean and seems to be working ok.

anyone ever swap a shock from a newer YZ?

you dont need that

Oooh yeah. You don't want the Yamaha BASS system to be on your shock still.

What it was supposed to do was ease the kicking on braking bumps, what it did was toast shocks. I just removed the cable on my buddy's YZ490 and so far its fine. When he brings it to my shop to have the shock gold valved and resprung, I'll eliminate it completely.

glad to hear im not missing out on anything good. now i gotta track down a spring for me. im 200 lbs with gear, and according to racetech this bike is sprung from the factory for 125 lbs. WOW thats a little guy on a pretty powerful bike!

glad to hear im not missing out on anything good. now i gotta track down a spring for me. im 200 lbs with gear, and according to racetech this bike is sprung from the factory for 125 lbs. WOW thats a little guy on a pretty powerful bike!

One of the best bikes i owned,with a little boost port mod those had excelent power!:bonk:

I have heard it was a great bike by quite a few people. im getting excited to take it to the track next week.

ok now here is another question for the YZ gurus.

what year shocks will work in the 86 frame? i know the 87 will, but how about anything older or newer? does one year have a better shock than the next on this generation of YZ? im going to rebuild the shock soon, but if there is a year that is significantly better, i might as well spend the money on rebuilding that shock.

ive heard that 88 had the better cartridge forks, so i may be keeping an eye out for those locally. can anyone tell me if 86 the wheel, axle, and caliper will swap over? or am i looking for a complete front end swap?