Sign in to follow this  

Sending parts to Baja

What is the best way to get parts shipped (for your broken down bike) from your favorite bike dealership down to Baja; Loreto, La Paz, etc.?

You never know...

I am curious about this as well, since I store a bike in Loreto and fly down to ride. Some parts can't be taken on the airline.

A friend found a shipping service for his bike that took it from Seattle to LTO ... but that was a whole bike and price was what you would expect as I recall.

I have not found someone that ships parts, per se.

Just make sure you ship them atleast a year in advance lmao. A friend of mine owns a shop in la-paz and it took him over a year to get parts i sent him. Now they have friends meet friends at the border and pick up parts.

I have heard of guys sending boxes of parts/tires down on bus lines that are stopping in nearby locations to a friends proximity. Obvisously this would take a bit of explaining in Spanish to the appropriate bus driver/bus station and I am sure some fees are paid but the potential to get parts within a day or 2 is there with this method.

Baja Rudy taught me to ship the parts with BAJA PAK. Its like a parcel shipper that goes on the bus lines.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=936834&highlight=solo+pre+run

I walked a box of filters, oil and some parts across at San Ysidro and walk a few blocks to the main bus terminal. There, you will find a Baja Pak office.

It cost $10 to ship it to San Ignacio. When I arrived in S ignacio and waited until 7 am for the little bus office (where you would buy a bus ticket). The box was there. Then I re-taped the box and had them send it down to Loreto, then to La Paz.

So there is no shipping cos. directly from U.S. to these towns? My local parts dealer is pretty cool but asking him to drive to SY, then walk across the border and putting a head gasket on a bus is a bit of a stretch.

The Baja Pak sounds like a pretty good idea for those maintanence parts you know you will be needing, but there are those unforeseen problems when you need something else.

Any KTM/honda parts suppliers in Baja?

Belive it or not

Fed Ex delivers to baja cities,

Just checked to ship a package to Loreto, takes 5 days $134.00

Does it really work???

Edited by stolidog

Yep, I just checked the fed ex web site for rates and del time: 5lb box to La Paz-$114.57 and 5 days. I wonder how many margaritas I can drink in 5 days??

My friend had his wife fly down (not sure where) while he hitched a ride for a few hours - all to get a 2000 XR650R counter shaft seal to him. Remember the 2000's 650s had that problem. This seal cost him over $500

My friend had his wife fly down (not sure where) while he hitched a ride for a few hours - all to get a 2000 XR650R counter shaft seal to him. Remember the 2000's 650s had that problem. This seal cost him over $500

That is why I carry 2 in my pack!:bonk:

That is why I carry 2 in my pack!:bonk:

I still carry one and rarely ride my 650 anymore, just in case my buds or someone on the trail needs one. The seal is older than my 2nd 650. Haha

I dont even ride a 650r and I know you better carry one!

Great story.

2003 baja 1000 I was racing and stopped to pit. A guy asked me to take this little package and drop it off with his partner is a few miles up the course (leaking oil seal he put 2 in the package just in case). I take off and get a few miles up the road and see a 650r so I stop to give him the seal. heres how it goes!!

Me " Hey your partner at the pit gave me this package for you"

650r dude " what are you talking about my pit is 20 miles from here"

me " Is this the seal you need??"

650r "YES!!"

me " I have 2, good luck!"

not more than 5 miles from there was the real 650r. I handed him the seal and took off!!

what are the chances!!

How do they know the seal was leaking if they are racing?

Why stop and wait for a seal. What about oil?

I guess we should stop once in awhile and check our bikes over for leaks etc during a race?

How do they know the seal was leaking if they are racing?

1st bike no idea, I was racing

2nd bike was laying on the ground on it side with 3 mexicans all around it

Why stop and wait for a seal. What about oil?

No idea

I guess we should stop once in awhile and check our bikes over for leaks etc during a race?

Iam sure if I smelled something or saw smoke I might stop. But then again I raced quads so what do I know!:bonk:

feliz navidad a todos!

What is the best way to get parts shipped (for your broken down bike) from your favorite bike dealership down to Baja; Loreto, La Paz, etc.?

You never know...

Here's a link to a guy I know in Loreto who has a shipping service for getting stuff from the US to Baja. I've used him and it works!

www.bajaimportmail.com

Here's a link to a guy I know in Loreto who has a shipping service for getting stuff from the US to Baja. I've used him and it works!

www.bajaimportmail.com

"7 to 10 working days after reaching Laredo, Texas and payment recieved"

This means 2 to 3 weeks for the part to arrive. I'm pretty sure my margarita fund would dry up by then. =(

The Baja Pak sounds much faster on delivery time.

is there a mail service in loreto. We have one in todo santos and it only takes 3 days to get stuff from san diago to me. I am runing a small shop it works grate