Sign in to follow this  

which TrailTech

So the Voyager obvious has the GPS. But I have a ram mount Garmin. Is the Voyager GPS very good? Is it worth the extra $125 over the Striker? I'm askig for one or the other for xmas and want to know if the Voyager is really worth it.

I looked at both last month.. As I have three hand held GPS, all of which have more features, support, and are more portable then the Voyager I went with the Striker...

Do you have any pics of your set up? Do you feel SATISFIED with the Striker? I currently have my GPS mounted on the left side, past the perch. Also, does the Striker have a gear or neutral indicator? I couldn't tell on the website.

What do you want to get out of a GPS? Voyager is nice because it's always with your bike. It replaces the stock speedo, gives you a tach, altitude and engine temp readouts, etc.

I have a Voyager and it is perfect for my needs. It's packed full of features and does more than just give you a GPS. As Marquez pointed out, the Voyager is not really portable. This may be an issue for some, but not for me. Take a look at the mini-review I wrote up about the Voyager and if you have any questions feel free to let me know.

Get a Voyager!

To Add, you can get dashboards for the Voyager that have the neutral and blinker indicators like those for the Vapor. I combined the existing indicators with the Voyager. I have pics of my setup available in the thread I referenced above.

What do you want to get out of a GPS? Voyager is nice because it's always with your bike. It replaces the stock speedo, gives you a tach, altitude and engine temp readouts, etc.

I have a Voyager and it is perfect for my needs. It's packed full of features and does more than just give you a GPS. As Marquez pointed out, the Voyager is not really portable. This may be an issue for some, but not for me. Take a look at the mini-review I wrote up about the Voyager and if you have any questions feel free to let me know.

Get a Voyager!

To Add, you can get dashboards for the Voyager that have the neutral and blinker indicators like those for the Vapor. I combined the existing indicators with the Voyager. I have pics of my setup available in the thread I referenced above.

Portability isn't an issue because I only have 1 bike. I don't need a full feature GPS. I just want to he able to loaves some tracks, Mark some waypoint, and navigate from my house to my girls house. I also want a gear/neutral indicator. I'm also not very Gantt so easy of use and install is important.

Well, based on what you're telling me, I think the Voyager would fit you well. It does have a lot of features, but I wouldn't let that deter you, as I imagine eventually, you would get around to using them. Installation is straight forward and the instructions are very clear. As far as gear/neutral indicator, you can reuse the existing one, or like I said, you can get dashboards that have new indicators.

Is the voyager programmable via SD card? Is it big enough to really work well as a GPS? Setting up the bike for 2012 TAT, so less junk the better.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to reset the speedo between anyone of the TrailTech's when flipping from SM wheels to dirt wheels?

If I ever go to a Trailtech, I'll probably get the non-GPS version(Striker or Vapor). I sometimes park the bike and go for a hike out on some non-motorized nature trails and like to take the GPS with me in case I get lost.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to reset the speedo between anyone of the TrailTech's when flipping from SM wheels to dirt wheels?

Data reset to re enter wheel size would be required for the Vapor and Striker...

The Voyager speed is monitored by GPS ,as long as overhead is clear for GPS reception ....It does come with wheel sensor for better distance and speed accuracy..

Data reset to re enter wheel size would be required for the Vapor and Striker...

The Voyager speed is monitored by GPS ,as long as overhead is clear for GPS reception ....It does come with wheel sensor for better distance and speed accuracy..

Voyager will read both, but you can choose to either use GPS or the wheel sensor for speed, start logging and other data points. When I change between SM and dirt wheels, it's just a matter of changing the speedo coefficient in the Voyager unit itself, which takes all of 30 seconds to do.

And yes, the Voyager is programmable with an SD card. It comes with one to use to transfer map files between the Voyager and your computer and vise versa. The screen is like 3" or something and is very easy to read and see while you're riding. If you're doing the TAT, I would think the Voyager would be a nice setup, since it is a speedometer, tachometer, odometer, GPS and monitors many aspects of your bike while you're riding.

Thanks for the info man. How much of a PITA is the install?

Just re-program the circumference of the wheel in to the unit, it has to be in mm's though.

Install is not bad. You have to splice in the new connectors for the Voyager into the existing harness. You can remove the old harness connectors or choose to add the Voyager connectors as well so you could have the option to go back to the OEM speedo if need be.

For install, there is a temp sensor (replaces bleeder on left rad), tacho and engine sensor (wraps around spark plug lead), wheel sensor and battery connection.

I think I'm going with the Striker based on the fact that I have a perfectly functional Garmen and the price difference means my mom can get me a new set of tires as well.

I think I'm going with the Striker based on the fact that I have a perfectly functional Garmen and the price difference means my mom can get me a new set of tires as well.

Look after that mom of yours mate, Good one's are had to find..:bonk:

Look after that mom of yours mate, Good one's are had to find..:bonk:

I love my momma very much