Sign in to follow this  

Chances of a CA plated 2003 XR650R getting flagged at DMV?

I'm going to look at a plated '03 XR650R on Saturday and I just found out that the cutoff date for DMV allowing registered dirtbikes is something like 2002. I've been told that after 2002, the VIN numbers were changed to tell DMV that it is an off road only bike.

My question is this. If I buy this thing and pay a bit of a premium since it is plated, what are the chances that DMV will flag it and revoke the plate, leaving me with nothing but a really expensive dirtbike? Is this something that I should worry about?

Thanks,

Logan

i have heard of people getting popped. I have also heard of people flying under the radar for years.

My ex's dad just recently plated an 06 bike. i forget what it was. I think he has had the plate on it for over a year now, no issues.

Good luck.

The way i see it, is why take a gamble? could be yanked next month, could be good for years, you never know, california being so broke all the time, may try to find another way to get money or whatever from DMV things, you never know.

if i was you, id buy a bike that came street legal from the factory, then there will be no worries, cause if you buy it and years down the line the plate gets yanked, it just lost more then half its value, not to mention you cant really use it.

I found out as long as it was plated before 1/31/04, it is grandfathered in. I've got an email out to the owner to find out when it was plated.

Thanks guys.

If it already has a plate and is registered I don't see a problem...but I don't know much about this either

The cutoff date for legally street plating dirt bikes in CA was Jan 31, 2004. If the bike in question was plated before that date it is completely legal.

its a street legal motorcycle right now isnt it? no vin numbers were changed. if your bike has a "3" or a "c" in the 8th digit of the vin it may get kicked out on the first attempt at plating, if it doesnt have either of these numbers and is already plated and has been for some time, the dmv system just sees it as another bike, no different than a harley or any other street bike. transfer all the stuff via AAA and avoid the dmv alltogether.

its a street legal motorcycle right now isnt it? no vin numbers were changed. if your bike has a "3" or a "c" in the 8th digit of the vin it may get kicked out on the first attempt at plating, if it doesnt have either of these numbers and is already plated and has been for some time, the dmv system just sees it as another bike, no different than a harley or any other street bike. transfer all the stuff via AAA and avoid the dmv alltogether.

Best advice.... :bonk: It works.

2nd that. And AAA is gold.

We've transferred ownership and registered two '02s and an '06 WR250F and an '07 WR450F without any problems. One was designated RS (road street) on the reg, and the other was not (TR or MX I believe). I think the chances of getting revoked are extremely remote, so you just have to be willing to take the gamble. For what it's worth I also heard from the person at triple A that their work is checked by the DMV. I bet that's only an occasional audit though.

-Toby