Sign in to follow this  

power everywheres?

hey guys i got a 2006 yz250f, i really like the bike but im in the search of more power, the bike is completly stock and i really like the mid to top but i find its a litte down on the low end, i was thinking of putting a K,N K filter stage 1 exhaust and intake hot cams and a fmf powercore exaust, my question is that after putting the filter cams and exhaust will my bike have any low end at all? it should have love of top but its the botom i am worrying about, i ride trails/track and everywheres els, thanks guys

If it's completely stock, derestrict the airbox, use YZ throttle stop, and go with the Powercore muffler and re-jet. The Powercore works well at lower rpms and saves a couple pounds. You will have a noticeable improvement, all around. :bonk:

When picking an aftermarket cam, be careful. Some are optimized for high peak hp, which would be good on a track, but low end "chugging" may be reduced. Look for aftermarket cams that provide improvement at low and mid rpms, as well.

As someone once told me, "Welcome to the addiction!" :smirk:

I've been running this No-Toil Super-Flo flame resistant air filter without backfire screen for a couple of years and been happy with it.

DSCN0048.jpg

those mods just move the power around for a premium price. I'd really try gearing first.

I have the same bike as you, I have a complete fmf exhaust, zipty carb mod ect. I will tell you right now the best bang for the buck on these bikes is proper jetting and get the correct leak jet to cure the bog, do the oring mod as-well, if you want more low end put a 50 tooth on the rear.

I have been running K&N filters for 35 years. If you get water in they don't pass the dirt thru. Plus, if you get lazy and don't clean the filter they continue to work well. Be advised that you MUST re-oil them in talcum powder dust becuase the powder sucks the oil out and they stop filtering in this condition. Re-oil after every ride in these conditions even if you don't clean them. If you are looking for more bottom end try a 290 kit - best bang for the buck.

wouldnt all that cost nearly as much as what the bike did?

the powercore slip on is about 250 and both cams are about 180 each and a K&N filter is only about 80 bucks so thats pretty cheap compared to the 4000 i paid for the bike lol

thanks for the replys guys, looks like i got alot more options then i tought, cheapy ones too! i would just like more bottom but i dont wanna loose any mid or top, id like to gain power "everywhres", whats the best combination for this?

If it's completely stock, derestrict the airbox, use YZ throttle stop, and go with the Powercore muffler and re-jet. The Powercore works well at lower rpms and saves a couple pounds. You will have a noticeable improvement, all around. :bonk:

When picking an aftermarket cam, be careful. Some are optimized for high peak hp, which would be good on a track, but low end "chugging" may be reduced. Look for aftermarket cams that provide improvement at low and mid rpms, as well.

As someone once told me, "Welcome to the addiction!" :smirk:

I've been running this No-Toil Super-Flo flame resistant air filter without backfire screen for a couple of years and been happy with it.

DSCN0048.jpg

thanks for the advise! how would you recomend to disristrict the air box? and what is the YZ throttle stop? to me it sounds like a throttle stop would make me slower lol also did you notice any power increase with the no toil filter?

I have the same bike as you, I have a complete fmf exhaust, zipty carb mod ect. I will tell you right now the best bang for the buck on these bikes is proper jetting and get the correct leak jet to cure the bog, do the oring mod as-well, if you want more low end put a 50 tooth on the rear.

thanks, what is the oring mod? sounds easy

thanks for the advise! how would you recomend to disristrict the air box? and what is the YZ throttle stop? to me it sounds like a throttle stop would make me slower lol also did you notice any power increase with the no toil filter?

Go to the Sticky: Forum FAQ at the top of the page

Go to FAQ #11: Link to mods for WR's and YZ's

Go to Free Mods

Most WR folks pull the "snorkel" The plastic insert in the top of the airbox. Others add additional holes in top or side of box. Do some searches for more details.

You'll also see a discussion on the YZ throttle stop. The WR throttle stop is longer, which stops the throttle from turning , even though the carb is not opened up all the way.

I think it would be difficult for me to tell a difference in performance with just changing the air filter. The stocker is decent. However, I look at it as a complete package: Derestrict airbox, filter, muffler, and then re-jet for optimum performance.

If you can't afford the air filter, don't worry about it. Most gains are probably from cutting the throttle stop, removing the snorkel, derestricting the muffler, and re-jetting. None of which costs much.

If you're on a budget, de-restrict the stock muffler. If you have some money, buy an aftermarket muffler to save a couple pounds.

The information above only is required on a WR you have a YZ so disregard that, its is very informative but it does not apply to your bike, the oring mod is basically. Using an O-ring like a #78 O-Ring (7/16" O.D. X 1/4" I.D. X 3/32" thick)And wrapping it around the accelerator pump cam like this and attaching the other end around that silver stop this makes them move as one. It gets rid of some delay when the throttle is opened quick.

yz250f.png