Sign in to follow this  

ATV vs. Dirt Bike Power

Alot of my friends talk about how a dirt bike puts out more power/speed per cc than an ATV. i.e. a 250f would fly past a 250 quad. Is this true?

Alot of my friends talk about how a dirt bike puts out more power/speed per cc than an ATV. i.e. a 250f would fly past a 250 quad. Is this true?

Bikes have a better hp to weight ratio as quads usually have AT LEAST 75 more pounds to haul around as the same cc of bike. Quads usually have a little milder ports or cams to build a little more low end to deal with the added weight. Don't test the hp/weight theory in short sand drags, you will likely have your ass handed to you on a bike:bonk: Stretch that sand drag out and you might run them down.:bonk:

A 250 trail quad is nothing like a 250f Mx bike power wise, but the 450 class race type quads use the same type of motors that the bikes do.

the worst part about being a quad rider is having to tell your parents your gay :bonk:

all joking aside, a bike will whip a quad, its 100lbs lighter!

Friends just don't let friends buy quads hahaha.

But yes, you're correct. It all has to do with all the extra tubing, axle, hub, plastics, wheels, ect.. that starts really adding up in pounds on the quads.

yeh, a bike will whip any 4x4 quad anyday at speed, as long as the bike is bigger than a 125, and sport quads are usually slower than mx bikes at relatively similar cc's. my xr500r can kick the ass of an outlaw 500, and its like 30 years newer than my bike. and also my kdx will probably beat a blaster 200 but ive never had the chance to try it out.

They don't put out more power. For the most part, they use the same engines. They do, however, weight less. Do the math..

..a

not to mention there is a lot more weight to spin with all that much more tire going around. plus rolling resistance. Believe it or not, doing an mx gate drop holeshot style start, i beat a yfz450 in a 500ft drag on a cr125

I raced sport quads for years, then switched to racing bikes. The 250F bike feels about like a stock 450 sport quad to me, (power wise).

They don't put out more power. For the most part, they use the same engines. They do, however, weight less. Do the math..

..a

Not really. The quads are almost always detuned compared to the bikes. A TRX450R makes quite a deal less power than a CRF450R.

one wheel doesnt put power to the ground as good as two

yeh your right, its not as good, its better. ive never once seen a quad take a bike in a drag or holeshot and its because the quad usually starts to spin its tires due to the fact it has less grip. the bike will hook right up and fly outa the gate... not sure where you got this idea that a quad puts powerto the ground better, because then it would take off quiker than a bike. get a bike and quad with the exact engine in both of them and the bike will win, no questions asked

Quads are like tampons, Every p*ssy needs one.

yehp, for women and n00bs... lol jk, i enjoy taking a spin on a quad every once in a while but id say the only thing they are good or fun for is power slides