Sign in to follow this  

47mm Showa / 48mm KYB

Edit: Mistyped the title - should read 46mm KYB. Can't change it though...

I'm going to have to dig in to the suspension on my '06 CRF250X and my yet-unridden '06 CR125 soon. I really like the stock action on the CRF for the gnarly New England snot I ride. I think it's just about perfect, but it's going to need a service if nothing else. OTOH, I'm sure the suspension on my CR125 is going to beat me to death, so that bike is destined for a re-valve.

Shocks are a piece of cake, but I don't understand the innards of the new dual-chambered forks, much less some of the bizarre service instructions (like that time/temperature vs. oil displacement chart - WTH?). I've done extensive work and valving with open-chamber forks, but fro what little I've looked into new things, it appears that the comparison is apples/oranges, and my experience isn't going to help much.

I'd like to learn about the inner workings of the 47mm Showa and 46mm KYB forks. How do they work, what do the specific parts/circuits do, etc. Are there any references out there that would help me?

thanks - JayC

Your 46mm kyb fork is an open chamber.

Thanks - I found that out after I posted. I looked at the service instructions in my CRF250X service manual and got intimidated. I never looked in up in the CR manual - I just figured they were similar technologies.

JayC

Well, that's interesting. Does the outer chamber oil weight have anything to do with the damping characteristics, or is it just for wear resistance?

JayC

it's for lubrication, air spring (progressive characteristic) and hydraulic end stop.

so except for the last few milimeters it doesn't influence damping. but by and by the inner and outer oils mix up

Well, that's interesting. Does the outer chamber oil weight have anything to do with the damping characteristics, or is it just for wear resistance?

JayC

Outer chamber oil is for lubrication and bottoming resistance. The oil level is set with a volume instead of a measurement from the top.

And between the Showa TC and the AOS KYB, if you didn't work on them regularly you may not tell the difference when apart. First time I had the KYB apart I found it pretty tough to see how KYB stayed out of court it was so close to the Showa TC.