Sign in to follow this  

Cutting out at quarter throttle

Hi Guys,

The guy I bought it from had the power up kit installed at a local dealer. When I got the bike it'd been sitting for a couple years and wouldn't idle. I took the carb apart and cleaned/blew all the ports. Also I changed all the fluids and checked the valves, which were fine.

Everything was running well (although I didn't have a chance to run it more than a couple times around the block) before I let it sit for three months. When I went to ride it a couple days ago it would only accelerate on half choke. Without the choke it would pop/cut out at about 1/4 throttle.

So I pulled the carb completely apart and cleaned it out again. I also bought new gas. It's still doing the exact same thing. For the heck of it I tried messing with the pilot screw and it won't change the idle at all, even when it's seated all the way in.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss. It sounds like jetting, but the fact it was running well (I think) three months ago makes wonder how it could be jetting.

Thanks guys!

Carter

what bike, sound like an xr650r

If you can turn your pilot screw all the way in and the bike wont die or idle up yo are jetted too rich.

jet down.

but I have a feeling you got more going on.

cheers

also you have to really clean the carb, not just blow through. use an air pump, and or get cleaned, you are leaving gas in the carb too long without use...causing most if not all your troiuble.

clean it well...

Hi Carter,

It seems like all of us are having issues with bikes that sit for very long unused. The gas appears to have things in it that are clogging carb passages and jets when the gas evaporates. I think you are on the right track with cleaning the carb but you may also need to look at your pilot jet (and/or the pilot passages some more).

I've been starting my DRZ every couple of weeks (I let it run for at least ten minutes) if I'm not riding it to prevent this from happening.

Good Luck.

:bonk:

Stupid newbie mistake... I'm embarrassed to even post this. Thought full choke was down, no choke up. :bonk: Yep, still learning about my new bike...

Good news is it's running like a champ!

Thanks for the replies guys,

Carter

JAJAJAJA

I think everyone has been there at some point!

I did it a while back and got so pissed I even took my stator out and had it checked and whatnot...

had the choke halfway up:bonk:

so been there done that...

your good to go, you have been baptized! jajaja

cheers