Full Restoration: 1977 Honda XR75

Got this XR back in 2005 (when I was 10!) as my first bike, and have loved it ever since. Around 1-2 months ago I started the restoration in my shed and so far, so good!:bonk:

And, YES... this will be a 100% original restoration... I want it to look like it has just rolled off the Honda showroom floor!

I hope this thread puts a smile on the faces of all you old folk who actually had one of these in the 70's!!

Enjoy the tread, and pics will be up soon of the progress up until now...

Mick

Keep Thumpin' ?

• Like 1

That was my first "real" bike . Great bike . I had it from about 81-86 . From your garage photos the pipe looks great . That would be one of the harder parts to find in good shape . Honda had a quiet recall on those bikes for the crank shafts breaking in half . Mine did and Honda replaced it free of charge including the crank cases . other than that broken rear spokes from bad chain and sprockets and the ignition advancer spring arms snaped off . I'll be curious to see it when your done .

Hey all...

Here are some pictures of the progress up until now.

Motor build pics coming soon...!!

In the tear down...

img0721cf.jpg

img0870tn.jpg

img0873o.jpg

img1229g.jpg

img0764hu.jpg

NEW PLASTICS... :bonk::banana:?

img1213ch.jpg

img1223x.jpg

img1222d.jpg

img1225w.jpg

img1226u.jpg

Now, I know this is a 1978 model... but I want it to look something like this (but with silver hubs, a white front number plate and black fork legs, etc...)

img0947s.jpg

Thanks for following the progress everyone... more pics soon :busted:

Mick

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Her's a question for anyone who knows. Are the hubs interchangeable on the 1977 and 1978 XR75? I know the '77 hubs were silver and '78 were black, but other than color, are thaey the same?

Great bikes ! Would look stunning restored !

Do u do the throttle cable the same as the picture above ?

Can not find a route that really satisfies for it (79 & 82 xr80 here)

Edited by tiewrap

• 1 year later...

Building a Jeff Ward XR75 replica racer using a 1977 model  with engine is stock (except for Lockhart oil cooler someone installed in its lifetime) previous owner says it’s original bore on the cylinder (I don’t know – haven’t torn anything down yet). Bike starts after 1-3 kicks and runs smooth and strong. Shifts smooth & clutch does it’s thing nicely. I wish someone offered a kit to do this (but then that would take all the FUN out of it huh?). Trouble is, I’m the kinda guy who likes to make a plan before any endeavor (a plan??? You say). Yep, you got it, my first restoration/modification project. But I’d like to have a “Grocery list” of what I will need mainly to have some idea of the cost. I already have a good $1200 in now but it’s mostly for the bike itself, mini mudder fender, brand new rear fender,  ’77 cr125 side panels, front plate red w/black background, all the appropriate J.W.R.P. decals, XRMINIRACER swingarm painted Tahitian Red with J.W.R.P. decals, “3x”, Boge Mull shocks restored etc. etc. etc. But now it’s time to build the powerplant. Someone give me some ideas of what all I should/need to do. Three points of criteria: 1. Don’t want to break the bank (too late for that)  2. Not gonna be a rider but I want it to have the “potential” to do so if someone says “oh it’s beautiful but will it go?” 3. I KNOW I will be utilizing a J.W.R.P. replica pipe from XRMINIRACER fer sher....... But what to do about boring? What size piston? What size piston for 85cc? What size piston for 98cc? Can I stick with a stock cam shaft? Should I do anything with the valves outside of replacing stock valves and springs? Should I just replace crankshaft bearings and seals? Stay with stock carb? Any possibility anyone can just say “Hey man, Here’s what ya do”........(without it having a $1000 price tag on it)???? PLEASE HELP.....I'm not a mechanical whiz but I know a little.       

I know powroll does not have any of the 95cc bore-in pistons left but am making some 93cc right now. KPMI makes stock and oversize valves for these. Web and megacycle both make cams.. Other than a simple head rebuild with moderate porting, a moderate cam, big bore and your pipe I would leave it there. Simple and reliable and with more power.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any recommendations for "how to" polish the outside of the cases, cylinder & head on my 1977 Honda XR75?

What are these components made of? I have a "Mini Mudder" front fender from XRMiniracer.....anybody got any tricks for drilling

the bolt holes in the proper location? I want to avoid sitting on the bike and seeing a crooked front fender. Any info/advice on re-

finishing the tank would be great. Tank is in relatively good shape. It has one "slight knee dent on one side and a small 1" long 

"creased" dent where it meets the seat. Building a JWRP replica so paint will be "Tahitian Red". Any help would be appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

Question for the XR75 experts: I totally rebuilt my 1977 XR75 engine this summer (XR Mini Racer 50mm piston, Megacycle cam & springs, OEM CD ignition) while it runs great I can't get the clutch to actuate properly.  It is dragging while the clutch lever is pulled in and no matter how many times I adjust it to factory specifications it won't work properly.  When the clutch is disengaged (lever pulled in) the engine will run but you can't shift the transmission into neutral and the bike will creep. I'm using all the stock parts and the plates, frictions  & springs are in spec.  I've had it apart three times now trying to see if I missed something or installed the parts incorrectly and I can't find an obvious issue based on the factory shop manual.  The last time I installed a new clutch lifter lever and that didn't make a difference (the original looked bent).  When I take out the case screws the cover does move 1/2" out when pulling in the clutch lever and the actuator parts are assembled correctly, even has a new clutch cable.  The actuator arm in the R Cover hasn't been disassembled.  Since the clutch worked fine before disassembly I messed something up - maybe in the transmission assembly itself?  I'm lost at this point so any advice would be very welcome.

• 2 months later...