You don't need a truck....

To haul your dirtbike around. Not sure if I posted this before or not, but here is a trailer I built a few months ago, made this out of a aluminum hitch hauler a friend gave me. Rides smooth, low enough to the ground to not need a ramp, and the entire trailer is well under 100 pounds.

2011-07-23_19-34-59_848.jpg

• Like 2

I average 30-32 mpg towing the bike with the corolla, about 28-30 if I take the Camry.

I also have a 4x8 folding trailer from harbor freight, that I have mounted a pair of chocks and can use it to haul two bikes at a time. That trailer weights alot more and is taller so more wind drag, and of course two bikes and double the gear, so with that, the camry is about 25 mpg, the corolla is about 27.

And before you guys think I am just a car head.... I do own a truck. A nice one too.... Problem is, it is about a 17-18 mpg ride no matter what, unless I am super slow on the highways then I might stretch it out to 20 mpg. Every weekend, the places I like to ride or race, typically end up being 100-200 miles away. So there is alot of miles being driven each weekend. I typically save anywhere from 20-40$ per trip by taking the car over the truck.

2011-03-01_12-18-39_335.jpg

I just posted this because I always see people saying they need a truck to get their bikes out to the trails or tracks, and that just isn't the case. Gas is so expensive these days that to go another 10 more miles per gallon is a HUGE payoff in money saved. If gas were a dollar a gallon again I would probably still take the car just cause it is comfortable and less to clean when I get home, but the truck would be alot more tempting.

Are those tires rated for 100mph+?

I have no idea.... probably not. I do know they have seen several runs up to 85 mph no problems. I have them seriously under inflated. Apparently they were made in china and those idiots can't make a truely round wheel, the wheels are not perfectly round so with much air in the tires the trailer has a speed range where it vibrates pretty bad. I dropped the pressure in the tires lower and lower till the tires would soak up the out of roundness of the wheels, and ended up with maybe 10 psi in them. They are rated for WAY more weight than what their having to carry, so I think they are fine. They have survived about 1000 miles worth of trips so far without issue.

To haul your dirtbike around. Not sure if I posted this before or not, but here is a trailer I built a few months ago, made this out of a aluminum hitch hauler a friend gave me. Rides smooth, low enough to the ground to not need a ramp, and the entire trailer is well under 100 pounds.

Wonder what you would have to do to make that bad boy sell-able? Low-cost no truck required might make it a "sweet spot" for wannabe dirtbikers -- especially in more urban/suburban areas. Who cares if you are hitched to the Corolla or Civic? At least you can go riding...:bonk::ride:?

Sharp trailer but its size kinda scares me. I've got a 5x10 with a steel bed and ramp gate. Towing my bike with something that small would make me nervous. We ride offroad so most of the time we go on weekend trips and camp and the trailer is loaded with 2 bikes, coolers, 2 gas jugs, firewood, etc. Would be good for just going to the track.

I have no idea.... probably not. I do know they have seen several runs up to 85 mph no problems. I have them seriously under inflated. Apparently they were made in china and those idiots can't make a truely round wheel, the wheels are not perfectly round so with much air in the tires the trailer has a speed range where it vibrates pretty bad. I dropped the pressure in the tires lower and lower till the tires would soak up the out of roundness of the wheels, and ended up with maybe 10 psi in them. They are rated for WAY more weight than what their having to carry, so I think they are fine. They have survived about 1000 miles worth of trips so far without issue.

If they can't get it round I would have my doubts about their rating the load carrying capacity --be careful. Ain't that the Chinese can't make good stuff. It is that the importing dimwits and bean-counters are too cheap to do any quality control. You can't leave the fox in hen-house doing their own QC --cuz they won't-- since they are into squezzin out every dollar. And this holds true in most cases independent of geography.

thats pretty sweet! i have jetta i bought in high school cause i was trying to save on gas and my dad had a truck and a jeep so if i wanted to ride it was no problem to swap rides. need less to say i still have my jetta and no truck. so i was wondering how much did that trailer coast you you think? if you only bought parts and welded it your self? also i see there is no lights or a plate on it? did you add that later or is that how you tow it?

thats pretty sweet! i have jetta i bought in high school cause i was trying to save on gas and my dad had a truck and a jeep so if i wanted to ride it was no problem to swap rides. need less to say i still have my jetta and no truck. so i was wondering how much did that trailer coast you you think? if you only bought parts and welded it your self? also i see there is no lights or a plate on it? did you add that later or is that how you tow it?

In Washington state, the trailer would require fenders, proper light kit, D.O.T. approved tires, and State Patrol inspection. Then it can be licensed as a 'Homemade' utility trailer. In my home state that trailer "Cool as it may be" would be a "state trooper magnet".

flat out scary. no thank you.

Yeah, but no more scary than some of some those cheapo receiver carriers flopping all over the place. Some are great, but some are downright scary.

Have you ever seen those small cement mixers, roto tillers, and stump grinders the rental yards make into towable trailers? the wheels are smaller than these and they are way more top heavy. The only thing that would scare me on this one would be a blow-out.

Smaller wheels simple mean more frequent grease repacking and replacement of the bearings. A lot of boat trailers are carrying more weight on tires that size or smaller.

One issue would be really light and no suspension, doesn't it bounce around over rough roads?