Sign in to follow this  

Are 2005 rm 250 and 2005 rmz450 forks the same?

Are 2005 rm 250 and 2005 rmz450 forks the same? Im thinking they are with differant valving?

They definitely have different valving because when you cut the throttle on a four stroke you really load the forks because of engine braking, so more compression damping is used to counteract some of that. And the Z has stiffer fork springs to account for the heavier weight of the four stroke.

No, they are different 'series' of the same fork.

The RM's have thinner, but more rigid sanction tubing for less flex and lower weight.

The RMZ's have thicker, heavier tubing for more flex, and lower cost (softer metals).

Both are in the same 'series' and can be sprung and damped the same exact way, but come sprung and damped differently from the factory.

It's the same thing that Honda and Kawasaki do on the R/X and the KX/KLX.

Yamaha uses (till 2012) a different, cheaper style fork on the WR vs the YZ.

Are the damping rod and cartrige the same/interchangable? The reason I ask is I just bought a set of 2005 rmz450 forks with out the lower sanction/lugs in hopes that I can take the damping rod and cartrige out and install it in my 2005 rm250 forks. Because, the rebound dampning fell off and scratched the heck out of the inside of the cartrige and the rod. Also, will the rm compression valving thread into the rmz cartridge? is the rmz rebound damping valving different, could I get it close to the rm with the clickers?

Are the damping rod and cartrige the same/interchangable? The reason I ask is I just bought a set of 2005 rmz450 forks with out the lower sanction/lugs in hopes that I can take the damping rod and cartrige out and install it in my 2005 rm250 forks. Because, the rebound dampning fell off and scratched the heck out of the inside of the cartrige and the rod. Also, will the rm compression valving thread into the rmz cartridge? is the rmz rebound damping valving different, could I get it close to the rm with the clickers?

I don't know which year RM forks became a version of the RMZ forks (probably 2004), but you can contact Showa and ask them.

Yes you can swap internals around. I have a done this.

They are basically the same, RMZ has bigger axles so you need to use RM lower legs or use RMZ front wheel. Yes the compression stacks are the same (except valving and pressure springs) so you can swap out the whole assembly.

The later model RMZ have a more advanced internal cartridge with bushings instead of plastic riders, I took a set of those and put them in my 2007 RM250.