Sign in to follow this  

Installing Rekluse, new friction plates?

On behalf of my wife, I have purchased myself a Core EXP for Christmas :bonk:

So, my question. Should I just re-use the friction plates that are in there, or purchase new ones? I have never changed them before, but the clutch still feels really responsive.

If I do need to change them, should I go OEM, or buy the Rekluse ones (or even some other aftermarket)?

Thanks in advance.

how old are the friction plates? If they are newer just reuse them if not might as well replace with some new ones. i have always used oem plates in my rekluse with out a problem but have never tried the rekluse plates

I'm not sure how old they are, they've been in since I bought the bike a year ago (not too many rides, with a back surgery last year). I guess I will wait and see what they look like when I take it apart :bonk:

Unless you see something obviously wrong, I would just follow the instructions and put in the EXP. If they were working fine before the EXP, they should be fine with it.

Clutch plates have a thickness spec, most are .118 of an inch. Measure them to see where yours are at.

I installed new plates (Hinson for what it's worth) when I installed the Rekluse clutches in our CR250s. Did it while I had the clutches apart so I won't have to take them back apart again anytime soon - I hope.

get your 20$ calliper out to measure the thickness as suggested above.. i don't know what .118" equals but should be 2.85mm or more on MANY models. There is no need to replace the disks if you are say 2.9mm or more. 3.0mm or so is NEW. It takes literally 3 minutes to replace clutch plates, and you may need some if you smoke your clutch. So, if you do replace them with new, save your old ones if they are thicker than minimum spec. Recluse suggests using stock metal plates..

Look in your MANUAL for the min spec. if you don't have a manual, get that for Chrismass too. online or disk manual SUCK! you can't easiliy work on a bike with your laptop scrolling through page to page.

Look in your MANUAL for the min spec. if you don't have a manual, get that for Chrismass too. online or disk manual SUCK! you can't easiliy work on a bike with your laptop scrolling through page to page.

I have the manual :bonk:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will pick up a caliper, since I have never had much need for one, but it seems like a good tool to have.