Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse 2.0 EXP Warning

Just got my new Rekluse 2.0 EXP clutch for my 07 YZ250F, and my first impression is that I am a bit disappointed. I know it makes no differance at all as to how it functions, but when I first opened the box, I was kind of like thats it? No where near as cool as when I opened up my Pro-Z last year. Differant product and price point, but I happened to find my pictures from last year, and I think you will see what I mean.

Anyways, about that warning. The first thing I wanted to do was crack this baby open and see how it works compaired to my Pro model. Read the instructions, "Push in and rotate 1/4 turn to remove pin". Sounds easy enough, put it up on my work bench and gave it a try. When it came loose, I was like, "You have to be kidding me". Ok, not exactly what I thought, but close enough. I just broke the pin. :bonk:

Well that blows, but oh well, might as well still see how this thing works. Moving on the next one came out ok, followed by the next one snapping. I admit I'm an idiot at times, but after the first one, I was trying to be very careful. After that I realized the base needs to be up off the work bench, since the pin needs to extrude past the base to be removed. Let it hang out over the edge of my bench, and was able to get it apart without any more damage.

Now I was lucky, and they include two extra's with the kit. Putting it back together probably took about 20 minutes because I was really paranoid about breaking another, and being totally screwed. Its not that its hard, but these things are obviously rather easy to break. To add to the small challange, they are not all machined the same. I would expect the slot in the top to line up with the hook at the bottom. The ones that came in it do appear to be that way, but as you can see from the pictures, the extra's do not.

Overall I have been extremely impressed with Rekluse and their documentation. Especially in the world of motorsports were most companies seem to assume everyone has installed their product 10 times before, so its just common sense. Maybe I'll vent on that one in another post!

So here is my warning, and what I think should be in the instructions.

1. Warning, 1/4 turn pins can easily break if the following is not done.

2. Elevate EXP base before trying to remove or install pins, leaving space for the bottom of the pin to extrude from base. Base can also be hung over the edge of work area to accomplish the same thing.

3. Take care to line up base of the pin in its slot before applying pressure.

4. Take care to gently turn pin 1/4 turn to lock or unlock, while applying only enough pressure to compress the spring. Any more than the required 1/4 turn will cause pin to break.

5. We have included two spares, so relax if you break one. It's not your dog or kids fault. :smirk:

Pictures to see what I am talking about.

https://skydrive.live.com/?sc=photos&cid=5b454143b6e1f3f1#cid=5B454143B6E1F3F1&id=5B454143B6E1F3F1%21855&sc=photos

EXP.jpg

PRO.jpg

Ha, good point. When I was searching for reviews I didn't come across those. The video's do point out what I was saying, although I still think more should be in the instructions about it. I just figured I would read what came with it when I got it, and would be good.

I bought the core exp, and first had to wait for the updated wedges then install, I still have all the extra 1/4 turn pins. I thought the instructions Rekluse included were very thorough and detailed.

I have the core exp 2.0 in my new 2011 yz250f and love it, period as far as changing the pins out you should had read the instructions they tell you to elevate them while doing it so they dont break.

I have the core exp 2.0 in my new 2011 yz250f and love it, period as far as changing the pins out you should had read the instructions they tell you to elevate them while doing it so they dont break.

Appearantly you got a special set of instructions. The set I got with my kit matches what they have on their website, and says nothing about elevating it.

"To change springs, remove 3 of the ¼ turn pins from one side of the EXP, replace springs, and re-install ¼ turn pins. Next, flip the EXP friction disk over and repeat on the other side if necessary. To maintain even pressure, when using two different color spring sets, install one set of 3 on one side of the EXP and the remaining set of 3 on the other side."

http://rekluse.com/198-6071_Setup_Sheet_RMS-6071.pdf

Sadly Rekluse isn't going to make the Pro for the new KTM 4 strokes.

I see no way this new unit is going to be as reliable or has the tuning ability of the Pro.

The instructions I had didn't say to do this either but it's clearly shown on their installation video.

I think the pro operates smoother too

they also dont make autoclutch setups for older popular bikes, like KDX200's and XR400's, which is very unfortunate, the dynaring was the only option for those, and they are limited supply now

they also dont make autoclutch setups for older popular bikes, like KDX200's and XR400's, which is very unfortunate, the dynaring was the only option for those, and they are limited supply now

Unfortunately, that is true. Why Rekluse chooses to ignore certain segments of the market is beyond me. They already have all the specs for the E and H series KDX's from the whole Revloc/Rekluse deal a while back so R&D wouldn't be that involved yet they still choose not to offer anything. I'm glad I got my Dyanring for my E series when I had the chance! I guess my next AC will be from EFM for my KDX250.

I think the pro operates smoother too

EFM makes an excellent clutch for the KDX.

you don't need to place the exp2.0 ring on anything.. you can just hold it in one hand, and push the pin in with the screwdriver in with the other hand and turn. Done. :bonk: Yea, if you place it on a flat surface not allowing the pin to go down, and you force it to turn, something is gonna give.

I'm with you as well though, when i opened my box for $399 (my cost was a little less, but still!) i was like "***, that's it?" .. but this thing works awesome. I like the ease of adjusting the 2.0 right at the clutch lever prech vs. having to lay on it's side and adjust on the pressure plate with cover removed of the CORE.

EFM makes an excellent clutch for the KDX.

yeah, and the clutch costs 50 % of what the bike costs

Just curious if the instructions specifically say to use the you tube video in conjuction with the instructions included with the kit.

lol :bonk::smirk:

I have the pro and really love it, in that kit you get a lot of parts as pictured, and with the newer version EXP it seems much simpler to install and tune as well, but once the Pro version is dialed in there is no need to adjust it IMO.

Amd breaking the pins just seems like you were forcing things..sometimes we just need to slow down and examine things (I am not saying I am perfect and have never broken anything) I work on autos, and bikes for a living and have learned if it wont go take a better look and THEN get the BFH, lol.

At least you had those extra pins.

lol :bonk::smirk:

Yeah, why the lol and bonks? I don't know much about auto clutches, I think I'm not a good enough rider with a regular clutch to invest in an auto clutch just yet. If I hadn't seen this thread I would have no idea to have checked the internet for an instructional video. I'm not one to buy something then run to the internet to learn how to install it, I read the instructions.