Sign in to follow this  

Mojave, Joshua, Borrego top stops and trails

Me and a group of friends are planning a dual sport ride for January. We would like to explore Mojave, Joshua tree, or Anza Borego. What and where are some of the top stops or trails? Caverns, old mining towns, ect.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I don't know if this fits your destination but I suggest visiting the Burro schmidt tunnel, Bring a flashlight.

http://www.weirdus.com/states/california/abandoned/burro_schmidts_tunnel/index.php

There are some odd little towns around the area also, Garlock, Randsburg, others that I can't think of, our enduro club holds events near red mountain a lot and I always find it interesting driving through there, I don't know haw much time could be spent in each one but it's nice to drive/ride through.

You might look up the Husky memorial. There was recently a D-37 dual sport ride to some crash sites. I didn't go but it looked like fun. Check the district 37 website/message board there are pictures and a writeup on there.

Years ago I went jeeping up coyote canyon near Borrego. Very cool area with creek cossing. It may be a wildlife area now though. Another cool spot is what we call the badlands but was probably the palo verde wash. It's east of Borrego off hwy s22. There is also a place called the pumpkin patch full of ball shaped sandstone. Couldn't tell you how we got there. Get a map gps water and RIDE. Watch for flash floods. People die.

Thanks for the recommendations! Unfourtunantely Burro Schmidt tunnel is a little north of where we plan to be, but a good spot non the less. Coyote Canyon looks awesome but like you said appears to be a no OHV area.

If anyone else has suggestions please keep the recommendations coming!

go on the joshua tree national park website and take a look at their maps, there are a few nice canyons that have legal roads through them. especialy in the southern part of the park. easy to piece together great loops, but you will need to have good navigation skills, back in there is way back in there... roads back in the park are just barely roads, if that. we did a 100 mile loop last year that was great fun, probably some of the more remote feeling areas ever. and we tend to ride way out in MOFN...

Coyote Canyon looks awesome but like you said appears to be a no OHV area.

If anyone else has suggestions please keep the recommendations coming!

Are you looking for Ds routes or ohv?

Somtimes when I'm going to a new area I check it on Google Earth. Many of the points of interest are marked there. You can load them to your GPS, if you have one, and check them out via the trails in the area.

Are you looking for Ds routes or ohv?

We all have plates, so both ohv and ds trails will work.

Thanks guys for the suggestions!

Somtimes when I'm going to a new area I check it on Google Earth. Many of the points of interest are marked there. You can load them to your GPS, if you have one, and check them out via the trails in the area.
We all have plates, so both ohv and ds trails will work.

Thanks guys for the suggestions!

I actually use www.dualsportmaps.com They have GPX routes that you can download and pictures as well. Small write up's on there, but not much detail.