countershaft seal fix

sickmade23

i recently encountered the netorious severe oil leak from my sprocket (countershaft seal) after doing some research i found often people have ther sprocket nut come loose witch cause the spacer and seal to leak severely you may not need to replace the seal and spacer (TRY THIS FIRST). what i found to fix the problem.

after removing the sprocket cover i found of course was my sprocket nut was loose so i removed the sprocket and seal cover pulled out the spacer and cleaned the o-ring inside of the spacer then with a q-tip cleaned inside of countershaft and seal removing all oil as possible, then used a socket and mallet tapping the socket to push the seal back into place securley then put back on seal cover now here is the trick put your sprocket on then washer on then your sprocket nut

tighten sprocket nut (TIGHT) once tight use a flat skrewdriver and hammer to fold the edges of the washer around the flat parts of the sprocket nut this keeps the nut from ever coming loose again and a little locktight never hurts althought you wont really need it. i have not had a leak since. due to the sprocket nut coming loose it takes pressure off the spacer giving oil a easy way out and fast. done about 2000 miles since repair and nut is still tight and in place by washer and no leakes :bonk: hope this helps here is a pic of the washer mod holding nut in place

DSCN0803.jpg

here is a quick mod to keep your countershaft nut or sprocket nut from coming loose use i flat skrewdriver and a hammer to folt edges of sprocket washer on to edges of nut as shown i did this a few times to change sprocket size so it looks ugly but you get the idea

DSCN0803.jpg

Well that's not a mod, that is exactly what you are suppose to do with that style of "lock tab" washer. But if you read much of this DRZ400 TT form, you will find out, this will not necessarily prevent the sprocket from coming loose. Read FAQ for the details.

Good of you to share something that was new to you. :bonk:

But, Ummm, No, .. Folding the lock washer over the nut …That is the prescribed install method by the manufacture.. Nothing new. Not a MOD, and still it does not address the underlying issues that the counter shaft sprocket Loctite fix does..

As the standard procedure is "New" to you, Id suggest you get a factory service manual and use it as a guide...

Also Suggest you read the FAQ write up, so you gain an understanding of the issue at hand.

Counter Shaft Sprocket "Loctite Fix"

Erik Marquez

Published by E.Marquez

04-01-2008

well dam yeah its new to me hahaha well there may be others who dont know to do that. crap feel like a idiot hahaha oh well but i still was able to fix the severe leak so maybe it will help another rookie down the line. and ya i agree on getting the new seals but for now i will still be able to commute thanks

:bonk:??

well dam yeah its new to me hahaha well there may be others who dont know to do that. crap feel like a idiot hahaha oh well but i still was able to fix the severe leak so maybe it will help another rookie down the line. and ya i agree on getting the new seals but for now i will still be able to commute thanks

:busted::banana:

May I suggest the replacement of the o-ring, seal, retainer screws and spacer. A possible oil leak infront of the tire could result in :bonk:

I think replacing the retainer screws are unneeded, unless the head or threads are buggered up. Clean the threads and maybe a little blue lock tight on assembly. Inspect the spacer closely for any groves and if present then replace it, the seal and o-ring inside the spacer, might as well do the lock tab since you'll be ordering parts.

• 12 years later...