Sign in to follow this  

is there a trick to getting my 94 250L motor out?

I've wrestled more than a few motors in and out of a bike, but this one is being a real PITA. I can't seem to rock it back far enough for the front motor mount casting to clear the frame mounting tabs- the rear motor mount tabs on the frame keep me from moving it far enough back. I can't twist it out, nor can I lift the whole thing straight up to clear the frame tabs... is there a trick or something? :bonk:

I pulled a 91 250L engine last night but I already had the valve cover and head pulled off which was the reason for the motor removal, it's a mess.

I can't understand your problem, did you remove the right foot peg and all the bolts ? I'm assuming that was a dumb question, it's tight and a heavy little bastard thats for sure.

Good luck :bonk:

I pulled a 91 250L engine last night but I already had the valve cover and head pulled off which was the reason for the motor removal, it's a mess.

I can't understand your problem, did you remove the right foot peg and all the bolts ? I'm assuming that was a dumb question, it's tight and a heavy little bastard thats for sure.

Good luck :bonk:

Yeah, I did remove the right foot peg and brake lever. The valve cover isn't getting in my way, just the front and rear motor mounts that are cast into the cases. I can't get the motor out from them. If I could rock the motor back I could get it out, but I've tried some levers under the front of the motor and still can't rock it far enough to clear the front motor mount. It's so close too... like 2-3mm... grrr...

I'm going to get some help, maybe with two people, one on each side, we can wiggle it out. Yes it is heavy! My old Kaw triple motor was the heaviest though... ugh.

Mine came out easy when I had to remove it (it's been a year so I can't totally remember). Completely remove the 3 bolts and brackets bottom front, 3 bolts and brackets up top and 2 bolts in the back. Remove the foot pegs, gas, tank, carb, headers, shock res, kick lever, cables and misc items. (assuming) you did that, it should side forward and rotate/tilt out. Motor is what 55 lbs? Seems like you may be forgetting something, I also remember pulling the motor out the left/chain side.