Sign in to follow this  

First Jump

A lot of people here started riding as kids, or have BMX/Downhill experience, so they're gonna respond like above.

At 32 years old, I was scared crapless when I did my first jumps. I'd come up to the jump, slowed down and usualy land on top or something, no doubles for me, too scarry. I remember the facility I rode at, built a beginners track which they used for trophy trucks and it had these little jumps on it. So I'd practice jumping there and it was awesome because it got me over the landing fear quickly. Once I had that figured out, it was only a matter of time before I was clearning everything I jumped.

I was on a roll during the spring/summer 2011, I was working hard at clearning everything and even went on the more difficult tracks in the area to learn jumping skills. Then out of the blue, I had a huge crash, monumentous nose diving crash after someone ran into me as we left the jump face together in a heated battle and he knocked me off my bike 30 feet in the air! Luckily, I landed on my head, I was knocked unconcious, my Leatt brace saved my neck. When I woke up, people were surronding me, but I knew where I was and I slowly crawled off the track and laid down. The feeling after a bad crash is horrible, you feel sick, you're dizzy, its all wrong. But I eventually got up, had a laugh with the guy who ran into me because the moto/battle we were in was EPIC and ya know what, its motocross and this sorta crap happens. But had it been a bigger jump, I would have been in the ambulance with multiple major injuries, I lucked out.

That injury was followed up quickly by another jumping related crash that was really bad as well. I over-jumped a double and landed on the ramp for the next one becase my dumb-ass forgot to set the rebound after I re-built my forks. Those types of crashes suck, but this crash being so close to my other one, it really set me back in the jumping department.

All of that to say, jumping is the most dangerous part of off-road riding by a far margain. Jump faces fall apart making the bike take off strange, lead-up to the jump and finding the proper speed is critical, other people get in the way, its really a cluster fk. But at the same time, its VERY rewarding when you get it right. So like everything, practice makes perfect and its a skill that once you have it in your bag, you will grow quickly because every jump becomes very similar.

Right now since you haven't do it, its hard to give any tips, but at least I told a story! heh :bonk:

• Like 1

Maybe find someone else that is clearing the jumps...follow behind them, try to match their speed or close to it

As Tye said Ive been riding since I was fresh outta diapers.

My first "big boy jump" I just went for it. Pinned it and never even gave it time to process, cleared it with no problems. Never looked back after that.

A lot of people here started riding as kids, or have BMX/Downhill experience, so they're gonna respond like above.

At 32 years old, I was scared crapless when I did my first jumps. I'd come up to the jump, slowed down and usualy land on top or something, no doubles for me, too scarry. I remember the facility I rode at, built a beginners track which they used for trophy trucks and it had these little jumps on it. So I'd practice jumping there and it was awesome because it got me over the landing fear quickly. Once I had that figured out, it was only a matter of time before I was clearning everything I jumped.

I was on a roll during the spring/summer 2011, I was working hard at clearning everything and even went on the more difficult tracks in the area to learn jumping skills. Then out of the blue, I had a huge crash, monumentous nose diving crash after someone ran into me as we left the jump face together in a heated battle and he knocked me off my bike 30 feet in the air! Luckily, I landed on my head, I was knocked unconcious, my Leatt brace saved my neck. When I woke up, people were surronding me, but I knew where I was and I slowly crawled off the track and laid down. The feeling after a bad crash is horrible, you feel sick, you're dizzy, its all wrong. But I eventually got up, had a laugh with the guy who ran into me because the moto/battle we were in was EPIC and ya know what, its motocross and this sorta crap happens. But had it been a bigger jump, I would have been in the ambulance with multiple major injuries, I lucked out.

That injury was followed up quickly by another jumping related crash that was really bad as well. I over-jumped a double and landed on the ramp for the next one becase my dumb-ass forgot to set the rebound after I re-built my forks. Those types of crashes suck, but this crash being so close to my other one, it really set me back in the jumping department.

All of that to say, jumping is the most dangerous part of off-road riding by a far margain. Jump faces fall apart making the bike take off strange, lead-up to the jump and finding the proper speed is critical, other people get in the way, its really a cluster fk. But at the same time, its VERY rewarding when you get it right. So like everything, practice makes perfect and its a skill that once you have it in your bag, you will grow quickly because every jump becomes very similar.

Right now since you haven't do it, its hard to give any tips, but at least I told a story! heh :bonk:

Great post. The part in bold made me LOL!

i was in the same boat 3 months ago,(30ys old) just starting mx on a kx450, i found a 40-45 ft tabletop was coming 10 ft short at first, then i would add more speed as comfort grew, by the end of the day i had that one down. all the other jumps except for 2 were around the same size so they came easy after clearing that tabletop, i still have the 2 big uphill jumps to do. but i need to gain more corner speed to feel comforable trying these. uphill take off and the landings are higher than take off ramp, its a little intimidating. whatever jump you start on, just stay in your comfort zone and slowly progress, no sense in getting hurt right out the gate and losing all desire to do jumps! good luck and be safe

Be very aware when youre in the air. Know that the brakes will put your nose down and throttle will bring your nose up. Keep a constant steady throttle all the way up the face. If you let off too soon, you will nose dive. Stay over the bars and elbows bent to keep the bike level. Gradually work your way up on how fast you are hitting the table. Its much easier landing on the landing, than landing on top. It just takes the balls to twist the throttle to get there. Push back on the bike (down with your legs) as you land on the flat part. This will keep you from bouncing and losing control.

i was in the same boat 3 months ago,(30ys old) just starting mx on a kx450, i found a 40-45 ft tabletop was coming 10 ft short at first, then i would add more speed as comfort grew, by the end of the day i had that one down. all the other jumps except for 2 were around the same size so they came easy after clearing that tabletop, i still have the 2 big uphill jumps to do. but i need to gain more corner speed to feel comforable trying these. uphill take off and the landings are higher than take off ramp, its a little intimidating. whatever jump you start on, just stay in your comfort zone and slowly progress, no sense in getting hurt right out the gate and losing all desire to do jumps! good luck and be safe

My kingdom for that jump. My first year was this past summer (August-ish). I practise at a brutal sand-track which is great learning except my jumping options are a 30' double-double immediately after a hairpin right turn, a 120' monster table-top, a 60' table-top that is essentially a 60'double, and a 60-ish foot table after a rutted-out right-hand sweeper that has a very gradual launch.

I can now clear the second of the double-doubles and am pretty close to doing them both. I've landed sideways a couple of times which has reinforced the lessons about squeezing the bike at launch...

I think the 60' double/table-top will probably be my first 'big-boy jump' just because you get a nice straight run-up and the sand is soft on the other side. :bonk: Also I think I'm just going to have to be 'in that mood' (as my bro-in-law describes it) where I stop thinking and just do it.

It's actually getting a bit comical because I'm starting to really tear up the corners only to wus-out when I hit the launch... lol

Pin it to win it...

Don't think just do. Landing flat is usually a little bit easier to deal with than hitting the face of the jump you were trying to land on. I went with a friend when I started riding to get a basic idea of speed and just did it. It has to be second nature, if you think about it then you'll probably mess up.

I've only been riding since June. Started on a 450 (don't flame me it was a good deal) I've hit everything at my local track except the triple. I haven't tried it yet because its a DQ in D class and its not worth the risk of having to move up when I haven't started racing.

glad this came up. i'm in the same boat. i spent plenty of time road racing and doing track days but had never ridden in the dirt. i didn't get to ride as much as i wanted to this year but have vowed to be out as much as possible next season. anyway, i've spent more time in the trails but have only jumped some smaller tabletops, with minimal air. i just need to grow a pair and add a bit more speed.

227yz, i won't flame ya. i bought my '09 KX450 this spring at the ripe old age of 42. and i friggin' love it! someone needs to set up a jumping clinic for us old farts. :bonk:

Lol I'm pretty much in the same boat as you guys road for 15 yrs when younger then took a break for 10 yrs 4 yrs ago at the age of 35 picked it up again and one day scootin around on my kids blaster I hit a unfamiliar jump in 5th and landed nose first and drove my head into the ground severly crackin my new helmet no injury( always wear a helmet )since then the smallest jumps would scare the beejeezus out of me.Funny part I would ride with friends and I would rail some killer jumps while following them but as soon as I would hit them by myself I would case them everytime finally figured I THINK TOO MUCH! Since then I have worked on not over analyzing and trying to get into a safe zone but just riding and having fun somedays I hit the big jumps and some days I dont but I always have fun and dont worry about it.

I am in the same boat as the OP! Here are a couple pics of literally my first few attempts of jumping a table top at our local MX track, field of dreams. I am on my 98 Honda cr250r. Go easy on me fellas! My buddy worked on the pics obviously, but the jump lip is about a ft below the pic. I was just going for distance and height. I got up to about 3/4 of the way through 3rd gear and that was my max comfort level for my very first jumping session. I learned a TON about jumping that day though and hit a milestone in the comfort department.

166964_2771284691705_1545651818_32700872_132714796_n-1.jpg

397927_2771284931711_1545651818_32700873_1264950991_n-1.jpg

IMAG0543.jpg