Sign in to follow this  

Down South TTR 225

What's going on guys.

I recently picked up a '04-225 for a really good price, and it is running very lean (common problem). I have adjusted the fuel mixture screw by 3 turns. The carb has been cleaned, with a new air filter and spark plug. The bike still continues to run lean. I think my next move is larger jets. I live in the humid south, so my question is, what size pilot and main jets should I use? Or any other helpful tips are welcome. Thanks.

Dustin

Humidity has less of an effect as elevation. In fact, I'd say humans are the most humidity sensitive part of the motorcycle experience.

I'd suggest move the pilot jet up one size, ride it. If it's an improvement, then bump the main up one size as well. If that's an improvement, you could try moving the needle up one clip (the clip moves towards the point of the needle).

Obviously, if anything you do makes it worse, move back one step. You'll likely need to adjust the mixture screw and possibly the idle speed screws after making the pilot change. It's a pain in the butt, but doing it right means doing one step at a time and making sure the bike is fully warmed up when you're doing your testing. It's also a good idea, but not absolutely necessary, to do this at a temperature that's near the middle of your intended riding. I.E., you ride from 70-100 degrees, you want to shoot for a day that's 85. If you ride from -30 to 115? Do it on a day that's 42. (This broad of a range is for demonstration purposes, it's ridiculous and would likely need rejetted around 20, again around 60 and again around 100 degrees)

The TT-R225 does not use a Mikuni, but the process is the same:

STARTING SECRETS OF THE ROUND-SLIDE MIKUNI

I like buying my carb jets from a guy on ebay: Niche Cycle

Thanks, for the tips I just bought a couple of jets from him. Thankfully you don't have to buy them in packs of four. I'll jump back on here once I get them put in and give an update.